Planned Parenthood Action Fund Executive Vice President Dawn Laguens released the following statement today after Mitt Romney promised that he would “immediately” get rid of funding for Planned Parenthood if he is elected President
Contact: Planned Parenthood Action Fund Media Office, 212-261-4433
Romney Again Vows to “Immediately” Get Rid of Funding for Planned Parenthood Preventive Health Services
“Mitt Romney’s views on women’s health are far outside the mainstream and bad for women,” Planned Parenthood Action Fund says
WASHINGTON – Planned Parenthood Action Fund Executive Vice President Dawn Laguens released the following statement today after Mitt Romney promised that he would “immediately” get rid of funding for Planned Parenthood if he is elected President:
“Mitt Romney has said over and over again that he will defund Planned Parenthood if elected. Women deserve to know what this means: it means that millions of women would not get the lifesaving breast cancer screenings, birth control and other preventive care that Planned Parenthood health centers provide every day.
“Mitt Romney’s agenda on women’s health couldn’t be clearer. He has vowed to defund Planned Parenthood, overturn Roe v. Wade, ending access to safe and legal abortion, and roll back coverage for birth control.
“Mitt Romney’s views on women’s health are far outside the mainstream and bad for women. The more women know about Mitt Romney’s positions, the less they like him.”
Today, Mitt Romney reiterated that if elected president, he will “immediately” get rid of federal funding for the preventive care services like cancer screenings and birth control that Planned Parenthood health centers provides to millions of women.
- Nearly three million patients come to Planned Parenthood health centers every year — not to make a political statement but to get high-quality, affordable health care.
- One in five women in the U.S. has visited a Planned Parenthood health center at least once in her life.
- More than 90 percent of the services Planned Parenthood health centers provide are preventive (cancer screenings, STD tests, birth control etc.).
- Planned Parenthood health centers see more than two million patients for birth control, conduct nearly 750,000 breast exams, and provide more than four million STI tests/treatments annually.
- Federal funds cannot fund abortion services at Planned Parenthood health centers. In 1976, Congress passed the Hyde Amendment, which forbids federal funding for abortion under the Medicaid program. The only exceptions are in cases of rape, incest and danger to the life of the woman.
# # #
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including voter education, grassroots organizing, and legislative advocacy.