Clergy for Choice
The Planned Parenthood Pro-Choice Religious Network was established in 1994 by the Planned Parenthood Federation of America Clergy Advisory Board. The network is an outgrowth of a national grassroots movement among those who believe there is a spiritual basis for reproductive freedom. Members strive to demonstrate that religious political extremists do not speak for all religions or all religious Americans.
The network seeks to educate the public about the historic and widespread support within the religious community for Planned Parenthood, family planning, and the pro-choice position. Members speak in communities and government chambers throughout the U.S. in support of reproductive freedom, and identify and encourage pro-choice clergy and people of faith to speak out.
STATEMENT OF BELIEFS
- We believe that clergy have a special responsibility to bear witness in support of reproductive rights so that the public and their elected representatives may understand the theological and moral basis for reproductive rights.
- We believe that family planning and responsible sex education are the most effective methods of reducing the need for abortion. Clergy must help parents reach and teach their children by providing medically accurate and age-appropriate sex education in their congregations and in their local communities and schools.
- We believe that both men and women have an inherent right to reproductive freedom, that this freedom includes the right to abortion, and that abortion is a complex moral and ethical issue that cannot be resolved by solutions that are simplistic or cruel.
- We believe that ultimately the decision about abortion is a matter between a woman, her conscience, and/or her God, and that those close to her should offer support in any way they can.
- Clergy and Religious Leaders Support Planned Parenthood’s Health Care Advocacy for Women of Color
- Clergy Statement On Religious Pluralism
- Clergy Statement on Comprehensive, Medically Accurate, and Age-Appropriate Sex Education
- Clergy Statement on So-Called "Crisis Pregnancy Centers"
- Clergy Statement on Access to Contraception
- Clergy Statement on the Federal Abortion Ban
- Clergy Statement on Stem Cell Research
- Clergy Statement on Teen Access and Parental Involvement
For further information or to join the PPFA Pro-Choice Religious Network, please contact us at email@example.com.