ICYMI: FDA Decision Sparks Backlash, As Public Detests Anti-Abortion Overreach
For Immediate Release: April 18, 2023
WASHINGTON – One week after Judge Kacsmaryk, a Trump appointee who is well known for his complete opposition to abortion, issued a disastrous decision on Alliance for Hippocratic Medicine v. FDA that could dramatically impact access to medication abortion and miscarriage care nationwide, Americans are fed up and speaking up against the minority’s extreme position on abortion. They see this ruling as an affront to democracy and the rule of law.
What They Are Saying:
- Politico Playbook reported last week that the GOP is facing disastrous political problems due to their stance on abortion. In addition to Judge Kacsmaryk’s decision blocking the approval of mifepristone, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s near-midnight signing of a six-week abortion ban and Sen. Tim Scott’s flubbed answers on his abortion position also made headlines last week. Their restrictive abortion policies remain an unmitigated political liability for anti-abortion Republicans.
- Ipsos and Morning Consult’s recent poll found that over half (56%) of Americans think that Judge Kacsmaryk’s ruling is politically motivated.
- 61% of Americans oppose efforts to ban medical abortions which includes half (52%) of Republicans.
- 56% of Americans said they are less likely to vote for a politician who supports limiting abortion access.
- 72% of Americans would oppose a national abortion ban without any exceptions.
- Axios conducted a focus group that found that half of "pro-life" voters did not agree with the Texas ruling. They also found that all but two of the 14 participants thought the decision to ban mifepristone was an egregious display of partisan overreach.
This comes as abortion advocates gathered in front of the Supreme Court Friday to speak out against the unprecedented and deeply flawed rulings by Judge Kacsmaryk and the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals which would severely limit abortion access and pave the way for a national ban on abortion. It’s time for the Supreme Court to do its job and intervene by throwing out lower court rulings in this case, which should have never been allowed to get this far.
Anti-abortion politicians have made their bed with their harmful, outdated and dangerous stance on abortion, now they have to deal with the fallout.
Planned Parenthood Votes is an independent expenditure political committee registered with the Federal Election Commission.
Paid for in part by Planned Parenthood Votes, 123 William St, NY NY 10038. Not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.