Thank you for your interest in employment and internship opportunities at PPESA. Current open position(s):
Planned Parenthood Empire State Acts (PPESA) seeks a dynamic Communications Director to lead the organization’s internal and external communications. PPESA represents the 9 Planned Parenthood affiliates in New York, and advocates for public policies that protect and support sexual and reproductive health services, rights, and justice.
The Communications Director is responsible for the leadership, direction, and administration of PPESA’s communications strategies and programs. This position will interface with the national Planned Parenthood organizations and New York State affiliates. The Communications Director will be responsible for maintaining brand standards and managing on-line and traditional communications. They will identify and coordinate opportunities for the purpose of promoting the organization’s mission, legislative agenda, and member programs. They will serve as the point of contact for various media outlets both traditional and non-traditional. The Communications Director reports directly to the CEO and will develop PPESA’s communication strategy and messaging in coordination with the PPESA team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Promote and highlight the Planned Parenthood brand.
- Formulate yearly communication plan for PPESA and related entities.
- Create communication strategies and execute programs as needed to achieve communication goals related to PPESA’s mission, legislative agenda and relevant regulatory matters.
- Maintain relationships with local, regional, statewide and national media outlets.
- Develop, write and distribute media releases, LTE’s & Op Eds to appropriate media outlets.
- Ensure quality control of all information released.
- Develop and post social media content to all platforms.
- Maintain website and create fresh content.
- Work closely with staff to develop a consistent, unified message in organization-wide materials.
- Relevant experience and knowledge of policy issues and the ability to communicate complex policy information to a diverse range of audiences.
- Manage vendors and independent contractors, including photographers, videographers, online marketing consultants and web developers.
- Maintain and propose a communications budget.
Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications or related field with a minimum of 4 years of experience in the field of communications, public relations or marketing.
- Passion for sexual and reproductive health and rights, health equity and social justice.
- Must possess strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills, detail-oriented and able to work at a quick pace and under time-sensitive situations.
- Willing to spearhead additional projects as needed.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours at times.
- Awareness of and proficiency with communications technologies.
Volunteer Graphic Designer:
Put your eye for design to work for reproductive rights! Planned Parenthood Empire State Acts (PPESA) is looking for skilled graphic designers to help bring our message to New York State. Volunteers will create branded graphics and templates for social media campaigns, promotional materials, events, and other projects. Volunteers should be Graphic Design professionals, currently or recently working in the field, and possess a modern design sensibility, the ability to work within brand guidelines, and able to demonstrate examples of designing digital content.
Several social media campaigns will run throughout the year centered on reproductive health and access issues as well as New York State specific legislation.
Roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creating compelling graphics for a variety of issue and legislative campaigns, including reusable templates sized for various platforms and uses.
- Adhering to brand guidelines, including creative standards, style guides and color palettes, to produce designs that align with existing digital content.
- Working independently while coordinating with PPESA staff and others as needed.
Experience and qualifications include:
- Understanding of design requirements for various digital media (social, web, etc.)
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign and Photoshop.
- A high level of attention to detail and organization, with the ability to accept input.
A stipend of $20 per hour is included which covers 10 hours of design work a month. This is a flexible position - volunteers are expected to agree to work only during months when they have the time to commit to Planned Parenthood.
Volunteers can work remotely and should have the Abode Creative Suite licensed and installed on their personal computers.
To apply, please submit a brief cover letter, resume and links to your online portfolio to [email protected]