Reports to: Public Affairs Manager
Function: The Digital and Social Media Intern will work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment within the Public Policy Department. This internship runs for a semester or up to twelve months. Firm start and end dates are dependent on the prospective intern’s schedule and the needs of the organization. This intern works to support Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky, a 501(c)(4) organization, in its advocacy work.
Location: Downtown Indianapolis
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Compensation: This is an unpaid position, but parking is reimbursed. If this internship would fit a course-credit requirement, please note this in your application.
Email completed internship application, cover letter, and resume to [email protected]. Include the name of the position you're applying for (“C4 Digital and Social Media Internship”) in the email subject line.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Social media
- Draft and schedule posts for PPAIK’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts using scheduling software. Draft posts for other platforms as needed.
- Create images, infographics, and other visual representations of quotes and data to share on PPAIK’s social media platforms.
- Research reproductive health and justice topics and prepare posts about breaking news in these fields.
- Monitor notifications and performance metrics for PPAIK’s social media accounts and use these data to improve campaign and account performance over time.
- Be an eager and active participant in developing PPAIK’s social media strategy, ready to suggest tactics and learn from mistakes.
- Keep abreast of social and digital media trends to enhance PPAIK’s social media presence.
- Assist the Public Affairs Manager with live social media coverage of PPAIK events.
- Digital media
- Brainstorm and research ways to use digital media to work toward PPAIK’s advocacy mission.
- Assist with preparing and distributing email communications to PPAIK’s supporter base, as needed.
- Other duties, as needed
- Could include administrative work, organizing and distributing supplies, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. It’s unlikely that one candidate will embody every skill listed, but they give an idea of a qualified candidate’s strengths. Reasonable accommodations shall be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Candidates must be committed to the mission and vision of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky.
Education and/or Experience:
Candidates should be:
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, OR
- Have relevant work, internship, or volunteer experience.
Familiarity with Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky’s work and mission, as well as a passion or interest in reproductive health, rights, and justice preferred. Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or graphic design is a plus. Working knowledge of the legislative process and familiarity with politics are a plus. Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and discretion is mandatory. Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, organized, and possess meticulous data management/research skills along with excellent verbal/written communication skills, critical thinking skills, and ability to work in a team setting as well as be self-directed. Excellent grammar is a plus, as is familiarity with AP Style. Experience or proficiency in photography, audio, and/or video production is also a plus.
Professionalism: Displays appropriate attitude, actions, and work attire for the position. Maintains work area in a neat and professional manner. Is committed to professional growth and demonstrates commitment, integrity, dedication and positive behavior. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in various formats required. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required. Must be flexible, highly organized, creative, and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
Teamwork: Able to gain cooperation from others and work collaboratively towards solutions that generally benefit all involved parties. Proactively identifies opportunities to assist others and ensures that information is communicated accurately and timely across departments as needed.
Confidentiality: Able to maintain confidentiality of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky business/activities on and away from the job. Travel across Indiana and Kentucky may be required.