Title: Grassroots Organizing Intern
Reports to: Director of External Affairs
Function: The Grassroots Organizing Intern will work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment as a member of the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky organization. This internship runs for a semester or up to twelve months. Firm start and end dates are dependent on the prospective intern’s schedule and the needs of the organization. This intern works to support Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky, a 501(c)(4) organization, in its advocacy work.
Time commitment: 15-20 hours per week
Location: Downtown Louisville
Compensation: This is an unpaid position, but parking is reimbursed. If this internship would fit a course-credit requirement, please note this in your application.
Email completed internship application, cover letter, and resume to [email protected]. Include the name of the position you're applying for (“C4 Grassroots Organizing Internship”) in the email subject line.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate and manage phone banking activities for various advocacy initiatives.
- Recruit visitors to Planned Parenthood health centers for advocacy initiatives, including sharing their Planned Parenthood story.
- Assist in the maintenance of advocacy databases and member lists.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of special PPINK grassroots advocacy campaigns and events including health center advocacy strategies.
- Facilitate advocates recruitment, voter registration and mobilization including tabling at events and information distribution and activist sign-up efforts.
- Provide additional administrative/clerical duties to facilitate the CAP process which may include filing, note-taking, and data entry.
- Monitor and document social media presence for organizations that oppose Planned Parenthood, abortion, and access to reproductive health care.
- Conduct research on other potential grassroots mobilization strategies based on other Planned Parenthood affiliates’ experience/work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. It’s unlikely that one candidate will embody every skill listed, but they give an idea of a qualified candidate’s strengths. Reasonable accommodations shall be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Candidates must be committed to the mission and vision of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky.
Education and/or Experience: Candidates must either:
- be entering at least their second year of their undergraduate work, with a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field at the time of application; OR
- Have relevant work and/or internship experience.
Working knowledge of grassroots advocacy and/or community action organization experience is preferred. Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and discretion is mandatory. Candidate must be extremely detail oriented, organized, and possess meticulous data management/fact research skills along with excellent verbal/written communication skills, critical thinking skills, and ability to work in a team setting as well as be self-directed.
Professionalism: Displays appropriate attitude, actions and work attire for the position. Maintains own work area in a neat and professional manner. Is committed to professional growth and demonstrates commitment, integrity, dedication and positive behavior. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in various formats required. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required. Must be flexible, highly organized, creative and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
Teamwork: Able to gain cooperation from others and work collaboratively towards solutions that generally benefit all involved parties. Proactively identifies opportunities to assist others and ensures that information is communicated accurately and timely across departments as needed.
Confidentiality: Able to maintain confidentiality of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Indiana and Kentucky business/activities on and away from the job. Travel across Indiana and Kentucky may be required.