Since anti-choice legislators took control of the Iowa Legislature in 2016, the attacks on sexual and reproductive health and rights have been relentless. It is up to us to elect candidates who will champion reproductive health and rights and stand proudly with Planned Parenthood.
What is the impact of having a state legislature controlled by anti-choice lawmakers? Let’s take a look—
- Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers were defunded. (SF 2, HF 653)
- A new family planning program was established that excludes Planned Parenthood.
- Abortions after 20 weeks were banned. (SF 471)
- A 72-hour forced waiting period before an abortion was passed, requiring two medically unnecessary appointments and a forced delay. (SF 471)
- Abortions after 6-weeks were banned, before many even know they are pregnant. (SF 359)
- A "Wrongful birth and wrongful life” bill was passed, which prevents patients from suing a doctor if they make a mistake during pregnancy. (SF 2418)
And in 2020:
- A 24-hour waiting period (forced delay) before an abortion was passed, requiring medically unnecessary appointments.
During this time, some of these anti-choice efforts were blocked by the courts, including:
- the 72-hour waiting period—it was found unconstitutional by the Iowa Supreme Court.
- the 6-week abortion ban.
- Defunding sex education.
We cannot count on the courts to protect us. Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa PAC (formerly Planned Parenthood Voters of Iowa PAC) works to elect candidates to the Iowa legislature who support sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The work continues. Join us. Sign up to be a volunteer with the Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa today!