Last week, the Missouri House decided to play politics with reproductive health care when passing the budget. The budgets for the Dept. of Health and Senior Services (HB 2010) and the Dept. of Social Services (HB 2011) contain provisions that would deny patients with low incomes access to family planning care at Planned Parenthood and many other women’s health providers.
Family planning is vital preventive care, including birth control, Pap tests, and STI testing and treatment. Medicaid allows patients with low incomes to access family planning at the provider of their choice — but out-of-touch politicians are trying to block these patients from certain providers, including Planned Parenthood. This would leave many patients with nowhere else to go for health care. As if that wasn’t enough, one of the restrictions would put Missouri’s entire Medicaid program in violation of federal law.
- Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri: PPMO Advocates calls on the Missouri Senate to fix budget bills and protect access to birth control
- Follow Planned Parenthood Advocates on Twitter for the latest #MoLeg updates: @PPMO_Advocates
Birth Control, NOT Bans!
The good news: A bill that would expand access to the most effective form of birth control could come up for vote before the Missouri House as soon as Tuesday!
The bad news: An abortion ban could also come to a vote in the Missouri House at any moment.
What you can do: Talk to your legislator about your priorities. Tell your legislator: support birth control, NOT bans!
Stand With Planned Parenthood in Your Community
Recap: March 28 Lobby Day
More than 40 advocates, including students from Washington University, came to the Capitol to talk to lawmakers about the importance of sexual and reproductive health. The constituent lobbyists met with the offices of more than 60 representatives and senators about an array of legislation. They asked for lawmakers to support bills that would improve sex education standards, expand access to birth control, and improve access to health care for new mothers. The constituent lobbyists urged “no” votes on measures that would increase restrictions on minors’ access to abortion, divert money to faith-based anti-abortion counseling centers, and ban abortion altogether later in pregnancy.
There are more lobby days scheduled this year! Mark your calendars and RSVP to take action in Jefferson City.
- April 10th: Missouri Women’s Network Equity Action Day
- April 17th Planned Parenthood Lobby Day
Volunteer Spotlight: Tim Murphy
Tim Murphy is a regular volunteer at Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri. He is ready to help with any task, from phone-banking to staffing outreach tables at events to joining us in Jefferson City on lobby days. Grassroots Organizer Nikia Paulette asked Tim a few questions:
- Why is it important to you to volunteer for Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri?
- For women to have the freedom of choice, their bodies, their choice. No one especially, men should have the right to tell a woman otherwise. I firmly believe in the mission of Planned Parenthood.
- What has been your favorite volunteer experience with Planned Parenthood?
- Any time spent with the dedicated staff of Planned Parenthood, is my favorite time. I admire their care, concern and commitment to our community.
- What else would you like to share with readers?
- Become a volunteer. It is a rewarding experience knowing you are giving back to the community.
- What is your favorite food?
- Anything I don't have to cook.
Join the fight for access to health care on the state and federal levels! Join Planned Parenthood Advocates’ organizers and volunteers to crowd-canvass, make calls, and enter data. You can participate in the phone banks in person or remotely!
- Springfield Legislative Accountability Phone Bank: Friday, April 6 from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- St. Louis Legislative Accountability Phone Bank: Friday, April 6 from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Columbia First Fridays Canvass: Friday, April 6 from 6:00 - 8:30 p.m.
- Kansas City Action Forum: Sunday, April 8, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Planned Parenthood Action Forum - Kansas City
Come join Planned Parenthood at our 2018 Action Forums to learn more ways to get involved take leadership and shape the future of the reproductive justice movement.We can not achieve the future we want without your help. Find out the different ways you can advocate for reproductive justice right in your own community.
- Kansas City Planned Parenthood Action Forum: Sunday, April 8, 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Clean Missouri Democracy Reform Campaign
Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri is supporting Clean Missouri, a non-partisan effort to reform our democracy by banning big lobbyist gifts, capping campaign contributions, and improving the way we draw district lines. Join us and help put power back in voters' hands!
- Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- St. Louis: Email Manager of Policy and Advocacy Alaina Smith
Planned Parenthood Event Calendar
Check Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s national calendar to find an event near you!