Repro Rights Lobby Day
Join us tomorrow (Feb. 21st) for our Repro Rights Lobby Day in Jefferson City!
Whether you’re a first-timer or a lobby day veteran, our organizers will make sure you’re confident and prepared to have successful visits with your elected officials. Can’t join us tomorrow? No worries, we have more lobby days scheduled in April and May!
MoLeg Weekly Wrap-Up
On Tuesday, the House Children and Families Committee heard three abortion restriction bills. The list included Rep. Tila Hubrecht’s (R-151) HB 174, which would prohibit local governments in the state from regulating so-called pregnancy resource centers, also called "crisis pregnancy centers" (CPCs). St. Louis Alderwoman Christine Ingrassia gave fantastic testimony against the bill and raised concerns about the misleading practices of the CPCs in St. Louis.
The kicker for this special Valentine’s Day hearing was Rep. Mike Moon’s (R-157) testimony in support of HJR 18, which is a proposed constitutional amendment declaring fertilized eggs are full legal persons. If passed the legislation would ban all abortion, common forms of birth control and in vitro fertilization. During questioning by the committee, Rep. Moon tried to make a point by comparing human sperm to tadpoles. His comparison was not received well. See for yourself!
- Progress Missouri video: House Children & Families Committee 2/14/17
- KRCG: House committee hears testimony on measure that would outlaw abortion
- Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri: 2017 Bill Summary
- Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri: 2017 Bill Fact Sheets
Take Action & Volunteer with Planned Parenthood!
- Columbia Recess Resistance Congressional Town Hall: RSVP
- February 21st at 6:00 PM: Join us for a town hall meeting at the ARC Recreation Center (1701 W. Ash) with our Missouri senators and representatives demanding accountability for health care access and reproductive justice.
- Kansas City Volunteer Action Night: RSVP
- February 22nd at 6:00 PM: PPGPV hosts Volunteer Action Night as a strategy session to engage our representatives during the congressional recess. RSVP by emailing Jack at [email protected].
- St. Louis, Springfield, and Columbia Phone Banks: RSVP
This Week in “You Can’t Make This Stuff Up”
The head of Thrive, a so-called "pregnancy resource center" that's on record for providing medically inaccurate information, took some time at a mid-MO anti-abortion march to give the KKK a shout-out.
- Columbia Missourian: Midwest March for Life draws hundreds to Jefferson City