Reproductive health and rights had a mixed week in the Missouri Legislature. The Missouri House voted on two bills that undermine reproductive health: House Bills 1288 and 1383 both passed. House Bill 1288 renews tax credits to faith-based anti-abortion counseling centers that are on record misleading women. House Bill 1383 endangers teens by requiring a minor to notify their second parent before an abortion, this on top of current law requiring the consent of one parent. The House must vote again on each bill in order to pass them and send them to the Senate.
In more positive news, the House Health and Mental Health Policy Committee heard four similar bills that would extend access to health care for new moms beyond the current 60-day postpartum limit. The bills, HBs 1468, 1616, 2120, and 2280, sponsored by Reps. Martha Stevens (D-46), Cora Faith Walker (D-74), Jay Barnes (R-60) and Marsha Haefner (R-95), respectively, have bipartisan support. Supporters of the bills, including doctors, experts, social workers, moms, and advocates, filled the standing room-only hearing and testified in favor of the bills while not a single person opposed them.
- Columbia Missourian: House bill requiring more notification for abortions given preliminary approval
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch: Mental health support in the newborn nursery
- Follow us on Twitter as we live-tweet hearings: @PPMO_Advocates
Join Us on Tuesday, Feb. 27 for Lobby Day!
Mark your calendars and join fellow advocates talking with lawmakers in Jefferson City about Missourians’ sexual and reproductive health and rights! We have carpools leaving from Columbia, Kansas City, Springfield, and St. Louis. Whether you’ve never been to the Capitol or you’ve walked the halls a hundred times, join us and make a difference!
|RSVP for Columbia|
|RSVP for Kansas City|
|RSVP for Springfield|
|RSVP for St. Louis|
Stand With Planned Parenthood in Your Community
Recap: Planned Parenthood Lobby Day
On Wednesday, a dozen fierce supporters from across the state of Missouri traveled to Jefferson City to deliver 36,000 petitions to every representative and senator. The citizen-lobbyists brought petitions on behalf of Missourians in every single district who want their lawmakers to stand with Planned Parenthood and support policies to advance Missourians’ reproductive health and rights. In addition to delivering petitions, they spoke with legislators about several bills that are moving, including:
- HB 1499: Expands access to long-acting reversible contraception (LARC),
- HB 1288: Increases the amount of tax dollars divertd to faith-based anti-abortion counseling centers,
- HB 1383: Endangers teens by requiring a minor to notify their second parent (in addition to obtaining the consent of one parent) before an abortion,
- SB 724: Bans abortion in cases of race- or sex-selection or a Down’s syndrome diagnosis; and
- SB 803: Restricts the use of shackles on pregnant incarcerated people during the third trimester, labor, and a postpartum period.
Door-to-Door Canvass in West St. Louis County & St. Charles County
Join Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri for a door-to-door canvass in West St. Louis County or St. Charles County. We’re encouraging State Sen. Andrew Koenig to focus on improving Missourians’ health this session instead of attacking Planned Parenthood.
Join the fight for access to health care on the state and federal levels! Join Planned Parenthood organizers and volunteers to crowd-canvass, make calls, and enter data. You can participate in the phone banks in person or remotely!
- Columbia Data Entry & Phone Banking: Tuesday, Feb. 13 from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.
- St. Louis Phone Banking: Friday, Feb. 16 from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Springfield Healthy Neighborhood Canvass: Saturday, Feb. 17 from 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Clean Missouri Democracy Reform Campaign
Planned Parenthood is supporting Clean Missouri, a non-partisan effort to reform our democracy by banning big lobbyist gifts, capping campaign contributions, and improving the way we draw district lines.
Join us and help put power back in voters' hands!
- Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- St. Louis: Email Lead Grassroots Organizer Alaina Smith
Find Events Near You
Check Planned Parenthood’s national calendar to find events planned in your community!
- Planned Parenthood Event Calendar: Find an event near you