We have a big hearing coming up this Wednesday. The Senate Committee on Seniors, Families, and Children will meet Jan. 24 at 8:00 a.m. for a hearing on SB 724, an abortion ban. Similar to last year's SB 96, this bill bans abortion in cases of a diagnosis or potential diagnosis of Down syndrome, and in cases of race or gender selection. Abortion bans like SB 724 force the government into the doctor-patient relationship, turning patients into suspects and doctors into investigators. Abortion is a deeply personal and often complex decision best made by a woman and her doctor without government interference.
Opponents of abortion continue to seek different ways to intervene in personal and private decisions by playing politics with women’s health — and SB 724 is just another means to that end. This bill co-opts concerns about disability discrimination, racism, and sexism and uses them to undermine access to safe, legal abortion.
Will you come to Jefferson City on Wednesday morning and testify against this harmful bill? If so, please email us and we’ll get in touch ASAP.
- Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri: 2017 Abortion Ban Fact Sheet
- National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum: Fighting Sex-Selective and Race-Selective Abortion Bans
- Follow us on Twitter as we live-tweet hearings: @PPMO_Advocates
Join Us For February Lobby Days!
Mark your calendars and join fellow advocates talking with lawmakers in Jefferson City about Missourians’ sexual and reproductive health and rights! Whether you’ve never been to the Capitol or you’ve walked the halls a hundred times, join us and make a difference!
|Wednesday, February 7||Thursday, February 27|
|RSVP for Columbia||RSVP for Columbia|
|RSVP for Kansas City||RSVP for Kansas City|
|RSVP for Springfield||RSVP for Springfield|
|RSVP for St. Louis||RSVP for St. Louis|
Stand With Planned Parenthood in Your Community
Recap: Women's Marches
- Mid-Missouri Solidarity March: More than 1600 turned out Saturday afternoon in Columbia on the one year anniversary of the Women’s March, many wearing shirts and carrying signs to Stand with Planned Parenthood!
- St. Louis Women’s March: 15,000 marched from Union Station to the Old Courthouse in Downtown St. Louis on Saturday morning in an incredible show of solidarity against sexism, racism, and all forms of oppression.
- Check out photos from the March!
- St. Louis Public Radio: Women's March 2018 focuses on Trump, voting and sexual harassment
Joplin Safe Sex Kit Assembly Party
Join us at Planned Parenthood's Joplin Health Center to make safe sex kits to pass out at community events! We have everything needed but your helping hands. Come enjoy time with like-minded friends and let's replenish our stock of safe sex kits so we can help Joplin folks stay healthy.
Phone Bank & Data Entry Parties
Join the fight for access to health care on the state and federal levels! Join Planned Parenthood organizers and volunteers to make calls and enter data — you can participate in person or join remotely!
- Columbia Data Entry & Phone Banking: Tuesday 1/23 5:30-8:30 PM
- St. Louis Phone Banking: Friday 1/19 12:00-3:00 PM
- Springfield Phone Banking: Friday, 1/19 12:00-3:00 PM
Clean Missouri Democracy Reform Campaign
Planned Parenthood is supporting Clean Missouri, a non-partisan effort to reform our democracy by banning big lobbyist gifts, capping campaign contributions, and improving the way we draw district lines. Join us and help put power back in voters' hands!
- Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- St. Louis: Email Lead Grassroots Organizer Alaina Smith
Find Events Near You
Check Planned Parenthood’s national calendar to find events planned in your community!
- Planned Parenthood Event Calendar: Find an event near you