Legal Update: Expanding Access to Safe, Legal Abortion in Missouri
Comprehensive Health of Planned Parenthood Great Plains (PPGP) and Reproductive Health Services of Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region (RHS) are continuing the fight to expand access to safe, legal abortion in our state.
Planned Parenthood Great Plains Interim President and CEO Aaron Samulcek explained that the affiliates are fighting Senate Bill 5, a targeted regulation of abortion providers (TRAP) law, because it “will force some women to wait weeks for an abortion, travel hundreds of miles, or lose access altogether.”
“We are here for our patients,” reiterated Mary Kogut, president and CEO of Reproductive Health Services of Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region. Here is where the three lawsuits stand:
- Senate Bill 5 Regulation Federal Lawsuit: PPGP and RHS filed suit in federal court on Monday, October 30. The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) has created new regulations to implement Senate Bill 5. These regulations are blocking medication abortion at a Planned Parenthood health center in Columbia, also calling into question stalled efforts to obtain a license in Springfield and Joplin.
- Senate Bill 5 State Lawsuit: Both Planned Parenthood affiliates in Missouri joined with the ACLU of Missouri to challenge SB 5 in state court. Senate Bill 5’s medically unnecessary restrictions could result in extreme delays of three to four weeks for some patients, and may block many women from accessing care altogether. The Jackson County Circuit Court refused to block SB 5’s same-physician mandate, allowing the law to take effect in full.
- Planned Parenthood affiliates in Missouri: Planned Parenthood and ACLU Vow To Continue Fight to Protect Access to Safe, Legal Abortion
- Kansas City Star: New abortion restrictions just took effect in Missouri. Here's what that means
- Admitting Privileges & ASC Requirement Federal Lawsuit: Planned Parenthood affiliates in Missouri were able to expand access to abortion at PPGP’s Midtown Kansas City and Columbia locations after the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals agreed with the district court’s decision to block two TRAP laws. The laws are nearly identical to laws that were struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court in its landmark Whole Woman’s Healthdecision.
- Planned Parenthood affiliates in Missouri: Planned Parenthood Affiliates in Missouri Win in Eighth Circuit
Watch: Lady Parts Justice Calls for NoMoTRAPLaws
Lady Parts Justice, a comedy group that fights for reproductive rights, made a video highlighting Missouri’s myriad TRAP laws. The video calls out Gov. Greitens for claiming he wants to cut red tape while at the same time supporting 30+ new pages of abortion restrictions.
- Lady Parts Justice: NoMoTRAPLaws Facebook Live Video
- Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri: NoMoTRAPLaws.com
The Trump Administration’s Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is rolling back the Affordable Care Act’s rule requiring patients have access to birth control without a copay. This makes it easier for employers and universities to deny women this coverage.
More than 62 million women now have access to birth control without a copay as a result of the current rule. Women saved an estimated $1.4 billion on birth control pills the first year the law was in effect. This HHS effort threatens to undo years of progress in reducing unintended pregnancy, an outcome due in large part to accessibility of contraception.
Despite the fact that birth control is essential health care and key to women’s economic and social advancement, the Trump administration is hell-bent on getting rid of access to it. Take action and join the #Fight4BirthControl!
- Take Action: FightForBirthControl.org
- Planned Parenthood Action: Trump Turbocharges His Campaign to Sabotage Your Health Care
Time to Get Health Insurance
Open Enrollment November 1st through December 15th
The Affordable Care Act’s Open Enrollment period begins tomorrow. Planned Parenthood and the Cover Missouri Coalition have trained Marketplace assisters across the state who can answer your questions and help you pick out a plan that fits both your health care and financial needs. Spread the word and help Missourians #GetCovered!
Stand With Planned Parenthood in Your Community
PPSLR Friday Phone Banks
Join the fight for access to health care on the state and federal levels! Join Planned Parenthood organizers and volunteers to make calls every Friday from 12-3 PM — you can participate in person or join remotely!
- Join from Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- Join from St. Louis: Email Economic Justice Organizer Nikia Paulette
Columbia Data Entry & Phone Banking Parties
Join us at the Columbia Health Center every Monday night to help out with data entry and phone banking! Let community members know about upcoming events and ways they can get involved with Planned Parenthood locally.
St. Louis Healthy Neighborhood Canvass
Join Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region & Southwest Missouri for a Saturday morning healthy neighborhood canvass! Volunteers will go door-to-door to share information about STIs, Planned Parenthood health center services, and ACA open enrollment.
Clean Missouri Democracy Reform Campaign
Planned Parenthood is supporting Clean Missouri, a non-partisan effort to reform our democracy by banning big lobbyist gifts, capping campaign contributions, and improving the way we draw district lines. Join us and help put power back in voters' hands!
- Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- St. Louis: Email Lead Grassroots Organizer Alaina Smith or find an canvass near you
Find Events Near You
Check Planned Parenthood’s national calendar to find events planned in your community!
- Planned Parenthood Event Calendar: Find an event near you