Graham-Cassidy is Dead!
Trumpcare: 0, Us: 3
The U.S. Senate announced they will not hold a vote on the Graham-Cassidy bill — AKA Trumpcare 3.0. The Affordable Care Act is safe for another day — and with it, the health care of tens of millions of Americans. More than 8,000 patients can walk through the doors of a Planned Parenthood health center tomorrow and receive the care they need.
We won for one big reason: You refused to give up. They bet on us being too tired, too demoralized to keep fighting — but they bet wrong. There will be more fights ahead of us, but for now, take a deep breath and be proud of yourself! Thank you for standing with Planned Parenthood.
Update: Expanding Access to Safe, Legal Abortion in Missouri
There have been two big developments over the last few weeks:
1. Missouri is no longer a one-provider state! Planned Parenthood Great Plains has resumed providing medication abortion at its Midtown Kansas City Health Center. Now Missourians have an option for safe, legal abortion in both St. Louis and Kansas City.
2. Missouri’s Planned Parenthood affiliates are taking the fight for abortion access to the U.S. Supreme Court! Last week, Comprehensive Health of Planned Parenthood Great Plains (PPGP) and Reproductive Health Services of Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region (RHS) asked the Court to protect access to safe, legal abortion for their patients in Missouri.
PPGP and RHS previously sued in federal court to strike down two medically unnecessary laws: physician admitting privileges and ambulatory surgical center (ASC) requirements. The district court judge issued an injunction to stop the state from enforcing the laws. The Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed that order, allowing the state to once again enforce these medically unnecessary laws. PPGP and RHS are asking the Supreme Court to allow PPGP and RHS to move ahead with expanding abortion services in Columbia, Joplin, and Springfield.
- Planned Parenthood News Release: Planned Parenthood affiliates in Missouri go to Supreme Court on behalf of patients
- Rewire News: Supreme Court May Step Into Fight Over Missouri Abortion Restrictions
- The Guardian: Neil Gorsuch's views on abortion to be tested by supreme court filing
Stand With Planned Parenthood in Your Community
Recap: Springfield Save the ACA Rally
Advocates of Planned Parenthood of the St. Louis Region and Southwest Missouri, led by Springfield organizer Stacy Sherrod, collaborated with Springfield Indivisible and Jobs with Justice to host a Save the ACA Power Hour. More than 45 Missourians turned out to Sen. Roy Blunt’s Springfield office on the afternoon of Monday, September 25. Attendees rallied, called, faxed, tweeted, Facebooked and emailed to send Sens. Blunt and McCaskill a unified message: Save the Affordable Care Act!
Recap: I Stand with PP Regional Organizing Summit in Oklahoma City
Thirty advocates from Missouri traveled to Oklahoma City for the I Stand With Planned Parenthood Regional Organizing Summit from September 15-17. Our volunteers joined more than 250 other activists from Planned Parenthood affiliates across the region to learn organizing tactics and strategy. These organizers left with real action plans to win sex education campaigns, to fight for better transportation access so folks can get health care, and start local volunteer teams.
Friday Phone Banks
Join the fight for access to health care on the state and federal levels! Join Planned Parenthood organizers and volunteers to make calls every Friday from 12-3 PM — you can participate in person or join remotely.
- Join from Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- Join from St. Louis: Email Economic Justice Organizer Nikia Paulette
Clean Misouri Democracy Reform Campaign - Signature Gathering
Planned Parenthood is a member of the Clean Missouri Coalition, an effort to reform our democracy by banning big lobbyist gifts, capping campaign contributions, and improving the way we draw district lines.
This non-partisan initiative would revolutionize Missouri politics, putting power back in voters' hands! Join Planned Parenthood and our Clean Missouri coalition partners for a training session followed by team signature-gathering to put the issue on the November 2018 ballot!
- Springfield: Email Southwest Missouri Grassroots Organizer Stacy Sherrod
- St. Louis: Email Lead Grassroots Organizer Alaina Smith or find a canvass near you
Check Planned Parenthood's calendar to find events in your community!
- Planned Parenthood Event Calendar: Find an event near you