Our elected officials across the country have been attacking the right to safe and legal abortion, the right to vote, the right to keep our families together, and the right to get the care and information we need to live healthy lives. While COVID-19 has changed some aspects of our election workthings, the importance of our election work remains: Everything is at stake and everything is possible this election. the work we are doing is more important than ever.
Phone banking has consistently been one of the most effective ways to reach voters and has become especially relevant as we continue to social distance. Phone banking is one of the best ways to reach the most people in the shortest time, and you can phone bank from the comfort of your own home!
Here’s five things you need to know about volunteering to phone bank virtually.
- Your time is important. We aim to maximize your time and effort. You don’t need to go to an office to phone bank with us. A virtual phone banking shift is two hours long, withe have a half an hour training for new folks and a 15 minute debrief, so you’re on the phones for about an hour and a half.
- We are here to help. Picking up the phone and talking to hundreds of people can feel daunting to even the most experienced volunteers, but not to worry, we’ll train you over Zoom, give you a super easy script to follow, and will always have someone there who can jump in if you need help! If you’re new, you’ll have plenty of time to practice with a partner before getting started.
- You’re making a difference. We talk to fellow Minnesotans who support Planned Parenthood about what’s at stake in this election and how to make their voices heard at the polls in November. And don’t worry: we don’t ask for money on these calls.
- Most conversations are friendly. We call people who likely support Planned Parenthood, so you don’t have to worry about hearing hateful rants every time a person picks up your call. Plus, we use technology to give you a different phone number to call from on your phone, so you don’t need to use your own number.
- You’re making connections. We call as a group over Zoom, with a coordinated start and end time. That means you get to meet other Planned Parenthood supporters—and celebrate your successes or vent about all your frustrations in a like-minded group! If you’re nervous your first time, feel like you need backup, or just want to enlist help to make even more calls—you can bring a friend online!
Now, as the most important election of our lifetime inches closer, we are focused on scaling up. We are taking our most successful virtual tactics and growing our volume. We are recruiting new folks through email, social media, and text to join us as virtual volunteers. And we are making sure that even in this time of social distancing we are empowering large numbers of people to take meaningful action and create real change.
Sign up to Volunteer at an Upcoming Phone Bank