Jason Lewis, former U.S. Representative who was defeated by Angie Craig in 2018, has announced that he plans to challenge U.S. Senator Tina Smith in 2020 in a bid for U.S. Senate.
From a long list of deplorable comments about women, LGBTQ folks, and immigrants to his abysmal voting record and relentless attacks on health care, Lewis has made it clear that he is willing to support dangerous policies that are every bit as offensive as his comments. His history includes:
- Supporting the dangerous Title X “gag rule” that has now blocked 4 million people from care at Planned Parenthood health centers;
- Voting to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), roll back birth control protections, strip protections for millions of people with pre-existing conditions, and gut Medicaid;
- Working to erase civil rights protections for LGBTQ people;
- Trying to allow employers to deny birth control coverage to their employees;
- Trying to cut funding for sex education and push harmful and ineffective abstinence-only programs.
Before he was unseated by Angie Craig, the first lesbian mom elected to Congress, he was ranked among the Top 15 Worst for Women members of Congress for being anti-immigrant, anti-LGBTQ, anti-poor, anti-woman, and racist.
In contrast, U.S. Senator Tina Smith has spent her life standing up for women and girls and fighting to expand health care for all Minnesotans throughout her entire career. From her leadership as a Vice President at Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota to Minnesota’s lieutenant governor to U.S. Senator, Smith has long been a champion for women and families.
From reprehensible quotes to reprehensible votes, Jason Lewis has consistently shown that he does not deserve to represent the people of Minnesota—not in Minnesota's 2nd District in 2018 and definitely not in the United States Senate in 2020.