Location: Philadelphia, PA
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve over 100,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
In 2019, Planned Parenthood Federation of America launched the c3 voter engagement campaign, Shout Your Vote! / ¡Dale Voz A Tu Voto! because enabling every person to practice their right to vote is a high priority for the organization. This campaign will be working with historically disenfranchised communities, particularly Black and Latinx, to register and update voter registrations and motivate potential voters to vote in the 2020 election. Voter engagement for this campaign will take a three prong approach: voter education, voter registration, and limited get out the vote initiative (GOTV).
Primary Function/Position Summary:
Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is running a c3 voter engagement campaign in 2020 to engage historically disenfranchised communities. This position will work with the Pennsylvania State Field Director and the National to build out volunteer teams, educate the public on the 2020 census, register people to vote through field organizing tactics, collect voter pledge cards, and engage health center visitors through civic engagement education. Each Voter Registration Organizer will work directly with local and national Planned Parenthood teams to develop and execute campaign plans in their assigned area. The ideal candidate is high energy, thrives in a fast-paced work environment, learns quickly, can think on their feet and works well with a wide variety of people from different backgrounds. Must be able to multi-task and have a community organizing or a grassroots engagement background.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruits new volunteers and builds out volunteer teams to canvass, run HCAP shifts, and for lead effective community engagement
- Manages crowd canvasses and traditional door to door canvassers in order to hit robust voter registration goals
- Collaborates with health center staff to run c3 voter engagement in nearby Planned Parenthood health center’s waiting rooms
- Works with community leaders and business partners to register people to vote at community events
- Educates people about the 2020 census and collects pledge to be counted cards
- Manages data for the campaign, working closely with the ADM to ensure all data is reported accurately.
- Local organizing experience in the state where you are applying to work
- Deep experience living or working in Black communities in the US.
- Available nights and weekends
- Strong commitment to meeting deadlines, frequent reporting and showing progress towards goals
- Experience using data management tools such as VAN, Excel, or any other related tool
- Access to a vehicle
- Experience working in diverse communities with extensive knowledge of diversity and inclusion, and sensitivity/appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- Experience leading canvasses
Years of Experience: One to two years of field organizing experience as a volunteer or staff
Skills or Related Experience:
- Experience working or volunteering at a Planned Parenthood affiliate is preferred.
- Bilingual or fluent in Spanish language a plus.
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with Subject Line “Voter Registration Organizer.” Applications without all required documents will not be considered. Positions will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.