Location: Philadelphia, PA
Reports to: State Field Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who we are: Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve over 90,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
Position Overview: The Digital Organizer is someone who possesses an outgoing personality and a desire to engage underrepresented populations through online engagement and digital organizing tactics, does not shy away from new challenges, and has a “Can Do” attitude and positive energy that will reflect in all projects and representation of the organization. Working closely with on the ground organizers to build the sustainable power throughout the state of Pennsylvania, the Digital Organizer fully integrates supporters across a range of online and offline engagement. The Digital Organizer is responsible for helping Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates reach and grow a network of activists that are responsive and engaged. Each day, you will collaborate with other members of our team to modernize the landscape of grassroots and political organizing by reaching out to supporters in new, innovative ways. The Digital Organizer is responsible for managing social media advocacy and PPPA websites, in conjunction with the Communications Director, texting programs, and data tools (including training and supporting of affiliate staff use of these data tools).
This position requires local travel throughout the region, as well as throughout the state as applicable. Some evening and weekend hours are needed as applicable. Applicants should be quick learners who will meet new challenges with ambition and creativity. This position is for one who is creative and energetic to help us deepen and build the support we offer to field operations, especially when it comes to online organizing and communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the advocacy and organizing team to develop and implement digital strategic plans for campaigns, with a focus on growing and engaging new audiences and expanding the reach of the organization’s social media
- Develop creative and engaging content – including email and SMS alerts, blog posts, social media graphics, video, etc. to reach targeted audiences
- Maintains and updates all social media channels, as well as PPPA websites
- Creates and manages social media and online ads strategy
- Works with field team to collect engaging video content from on the ground
- Supports grassroots field partners to leverage and grow digital programs
- Develops scripts and manages the Hustle program to send and follow up on text messages campaigns to accompany field programs
- Manages CRM programs and develops advocacy emails
- Edits online action pages (petition pages, calls pages, etc.) using WordPress and similar platforms
- Creates and runs A/B tests for emails, ads, and text messages as appropriate; analyzes the performance of ads, emails, and text messages, and adjust content and strategies accordingly, as well as when needed to respond to breaking news
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of promoting digital work
- Digitally support volunteer teams in remote areas or places where organizers are not on the ground
- 1 to 3 years experience in community and online organizing and the ability to mentor others in digital organizing skills
- Creative eye for graphic design and developing content across a variety of channels and platforms (extensive design experience is not required), with proven ability for quick turnaround
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- Proficiency in the strategic use of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media platforms, as well as social media management systems
- Ability to create and execute digital campaigns that complement field activities
- Strong writing skills, able to write concisely, clearly and quickly
- Strong, detail-oriented communicator who takes initiative
- Deep understanding of messaging across audiences and channels with an ability to match content and tone accordingly
- Ability to receive and integrate feedback into ongoing work plans, and the ability to provide relevant and timely feedback to peers in a constructive manner
- Ability to manage basic technological needs of state office staff in conjunction with technology consultant
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Commitment to reproductive health and rights for all Pennsylvanians, and to Planned Parenthood’s mission to protect access to safe, legal abortion, access to essential health care and comprehensive sexual education
- Commitment to understand race, class, gender, and other equity issues as part of your work, as well as the impact these structural issues have on our collective work environment
- Belief in and commitment to social, racial, and economic justice by doing work through an intersectional lens
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Well organized and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deadlines as well as work in a fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills that enable work in a collaborative and multi-faceted team environment
- Commitment to at least 40 hours a week (schedule varies), including weekends and evenings
- Experience with html/CSS is a plus
- Experience with collecting, editing and publishing video content a plus
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter sharing your personal interest to [email protected] with the Subject Line “Digital Organizer,” as well as a writing sample (e.g. email copy, blog post, etc.) and a social media graphic. PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, individuals of color, and young people are encouraged to apply! Applications without all required documents will not be considered. Deadline to apply: May 24, 2019. No phone calls please.