Location: Harrisburg, PA
Reports to: Board of Directors
FLSA Status: Exempt
Travel: 60 percent
Salary: $85–100k DOE
Who we are: Planned Parenthood Advocates, Association and PAC and Votes (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania's Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve nearly 90,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
Who you are: The Executive Director is a dynamic and experienced leader with the skills and confidence to be the face of Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates, Planned Parenthood Association of Pennsylvania, and Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania PAC and Votes, possessing at least 5 years of experience in a public policy or advocacy environment including electoral, legislative, and regulatory work. Working closely with and reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership, management, and planning of Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates (PPPA), Planned Parenthood Association of Pennsylvania, and Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania PAC and Votes and making sure each entity achieves its legislative, grassroots, and electoral goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Strategic and Operational Leadership by leading development and implementation of strategic plans for the organizations.
- Work with staff and board to develop and implement bold vision for the organizations, including refining and implementing strategic plan for the organizations.
- Develop and implement effective organizational structures and financial administration policies and procedures, including oversight of annual budget.
- Assist in Board development activities including retention, training, and ensuring effective communication between staff and Board members.
- Manage and Develop Staff: Maximize the potential of all staff members and set high quality performance standards.
- Empower staff to deliver assigned responsibilities and manage their functions.
- Provide feedback and support to affiliate public affairs staff on statewide goals.
- Coordinate administrative functions and communication between Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Affiliates.
- Work in conjunction with Operations Manager to prepare budgets, track and report revenue and expenses
- Develop Public Policy Goals and Strategies: Provide leadership for identifying public policy direction and the appropriate mechanisms to use to effect policy change in the areas of health finance and reproductive health.
- Work with Affiliates and Board leadership, staff, and contract staff to determine policy and regulatory initiatives related to health finance issues with a particular emphasis on health care reform implementation, Medicaid restructuring, Health Insurance Exchanges, and Pharmacy.
- Work with partners to craft a policy agenda and strategies for reacting to policies that would negatively affect access to services and reproductive rights.
- Determine organizational representation to the General Assembly.
- Work with staff and coalition partners to develop and implement policy campaigns
- Cultivate relationships with and support from bureau directors, administrative officials, lawmakers, and other decision-makers in support of Planned Parenthood's role as an Essential Community Provider. Represent the Organization to Opinion Leaders and the Public.
- Work with staff and board to develop proactive communications strategy
- Serve as public representative to a variety of coalition partners, including but not limited to choice coalitions, State Voices tables, and multi-issue collaborations
- Work directly with legislators, regulators, and other decision-makers to influence policy outcomes
- Determine Organizing and Electoral Goals and Strategies by providing overall leadership for development of a statewide plan for electoral, legislative, and other organizing campaigns. Implement campaigns as necessary
- Work with board and staff to develop and implement electoral campaigns. Oversee earned and paid media and field operation
- Develop relationships with potential and current electoral candidates that support reproductive rights and the mission of Planned Parenthood
- Ensure compliance with all federal and state regulations relating to electoral activities
- Provide Fundraising Leadership for development efforts and ensure these efforts meet budgeted goals in collaboration with each affiliate
- Identify collaborative fundraising opportunities to major donors, specifically political donors
- Cultivate key relationships to broaden levels of giving and develop the fundraising base with an emphasis on cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding gifts
- Work with staff and Board to identify and cultivate foundation and institutional donors
- Work with staff and Board to identify and execute membership, direct mail, and online giving for the PPPA (501c4 organization) and affiliated PAC
- Provide regular progress reports to Board of Directors
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements, clearly stating why you are interested and a great fit for the position, to [email protected] with subject line "Executive Director." Applications without all required documents will not be considered. Positions will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.