Location: Allentown, PA
Reports to: Regional Field Director
This is a full-time, exempt position. This position will be remote until the conclusion of the COVID-19 emergency, but strong preference will be given to applicants based in or near Allentown, PA. This position may also include occasional travel to other sites as needed.
Who we are:
Planned Parenthood is the nation's leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates, which serve over 80,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
The Raíz program is Planned Parenthood’s national effort to work with the Latinx community on fights for reproductive health, sex education, and access to care. Beginning in 2014, Raíz organizers have worked to build sustainable, community-organizing teams in partnership with the Latinx community. Organizers and volunteer teams have worked on c3-appropriate voter registration, Medicaid expansion, immigration reform, comprehensive sex education and I Stand With Planned Parenthood efforts.
Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is seeking a full-time organizer to engage and grow a base of Latinx supporters in the Lehigh Valley and build power for the reproductive health movement in the Latinx community. This organizer will work directly with local and national Planned Parenthood teams to develop and execute campaign plans in their assigned area and will build at least one local campaign/initiative as a vehicle for deepening Latinx engagement at the local level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement campaign plans with affiliate and national Raíz program staff
- Use digital organizing tools to engage, educate, and mobilize Latinx communities on local initiatives and Planned Parenthood services
- Recruit, train, and manage Latinx volunteers to participate in campaign actions and other community events
- Build deep, intentional relationships with Latinx community organizations and leaders to support cross-collaboration efforts with Planned Parenthood.
- Manage logistics, planning, and implementation of local campaigns and initiatives
- Support local electoral organizing efforts as part of PPPA’s 2020 elections engagement
- Track and analyze event data and program metrics using VAN and other data management tools
- At least 1-2 years of grassroots organizing experience as a volunteer or staff
- Deep experience living and working in Latinx or immigrant communities in the US
- Strong commitment to reproductive freedom and cross-movement work
- Strong time management skills and experience managing progress towards both quantitative and qualitative goals
- Curiosity around new ways of organizing, using data, and building infrastructure for a long-term movement
- Local organizing experience in the Lehigh Valley region
- Bilingual/fluent in Spanish language strongly preferred
- Familiarity with data management tools such as VAN, Excel, or Google Sheets
- An understanding of how to use personal stories to move others into action
- Successful experience recruiting new members to an organization
- Experience facilitating workshops, trainings, and (virtual) community events
We encourage you to apply if you feel you meet at least 50% of these listed qualifications.
To Apply: Send a resume and a cover letter with subject line “Lehigh Valley Organizer” to: [email protected]. Position will be open until filled and applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation