Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Reports to: Regional Field Director
Compensation: $20/hour, expected 20 hours per week. Full health care benefits provided.
This is a part-time, non-exempt position. This position will be located in Pittsburgh, PA, but will be remote until the conclusion of the COVID-19 emergency and will include occasional travel to other sites as needed.
Who we are:
Planned Parenthood is the nation's leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates, which serve over 80,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
The Black Organizing Program is Planned Parenthood’s national effort to work with the Black community on fights for reproductive health, sex education, and access to care. Beginning in 2019, Black Organizing Program organizing staff have worked to build sustainable, community-organizing teams in partnership with the Black community.
Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is seeking a part-time Organizing Fellow to engage and grow a base of Black supporters in Allegheny County and build power for the reproductive health movement in the Black community. This position will work closely with local and national Planned Parenthood teams to develop and execute campaign plans in their assigned area and will build at least one local campaign/initiative as a vehicle for deepening Black engagement at the local level.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement campaign plans with affiliate and national program staff
- Use digital organizing tools to engage, educate, and mobilize Black communities on local initiatives and Planned Parenthood services
- Recruit, train, and manage Black volunteers to participate in campaign actions and other community events
- Build deep, intentional relationships with Black community organizations and leaders who can support cross-collaboration efforts with Planned Parenthood.
- Manage logistics, planning, and implementation of local campaigns and initiatives
- Support local electoral organizing efforts as part of PPPA’s 2020 elections engagement
- Track and analyze event data and program metrics using VAN and other data management tools
- Previous grassroots organizing experience as a volunteer or staff
- Deep experience living and working in Black communities
- Local organizing experience in Allegheny County preferred
- Strong commitment to reproductive freedom and cross-movement work
- Successful experience recruiting new members to an organization
- Experience facilitating workshops, trainings, and (virtual) community events
- Strong time management skills and experience managing progress towards both quantitative and qualitative goals
- An understanding of how to use personal stories to move others into action
- Curiosity around new ways of organizing, using data, and building infrastructure for a long-term movement
- Familiarity with data management tools such as VAN, Excel, or Google Sheets preferred but not required
We encourage you to apply if you feel you meet at least 50% of these listed qualifications.
To Apply: Send a resume and a cover letter with subject line “Organizing Fellow - Black Organizing Program” to: [email protected]. Position will be open until filled and applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.