Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Salaried/Exempt
Who we are: Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve over 100,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
Who you are: We are seeking a candidate with interest and experience in legislative affairs and health care policy. The ideal candidate excels at strategic thinking and has an energetic and positive attitude and excellent interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable multi-tasking, quickly switching gears, and be able to abide by PPPA’s mission in performing all job responsibilities.
Position Summary: The Director of Policy will be responsible for helping Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates achieve its legislative and policy goals, both short and long term. The Director of Policy will work with the Executive Director and affiliate staff on legislative issues related to Planned Parenthood and women’s health. Key areas of focus will include working with public policy colleagues at the state office and in affiliates statewide to implement a coordinated legislative plan, and working with affiliate operations staff to improve the strength and robustness of health care delivery. Additional responsibilities will include coalition work, creating messaging materials, data collection and tracking, and collaboration on implementing the statewide media, grassroots and electoral plans.
Qualifications: This position requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or comparable experience. A J.D. or graduate degree in political science, government or related field is a plus but not required. In addition, excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency in MS Office products and online Google platforms are required.
Must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Effective communication—orally and in writing
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with staff and volunteers to accomplish program goals
- Strong computer and organizational skills
- Ability to think strategically, work independently and as a team member within deadlines, and prioritize work
- Possess knowledge of women’s/reproductive health issues and the political processes in Pennsylvania
- Eligible to register as a lobbyist in Pennsylvania
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Local travel throughout the capital region and occasional statewide travel as well as some evening and weekend hours
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Successfully meeting the physical demands listed below are also essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Continuous ability to read, speak, hear and see
- Infrequent exposure to outside weather, and heat or cold conditions
- Continuous exposure to moderate noise level
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
OSHA Exposure Determination: No risk
Access to Private Health Information: No access
To Apply: Send a resume and a cover letter with subject line “Director of Policy” to [email protected]. PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, women, young people, and other historically disenfranchised populations are encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepting until position is filled. Applications without all required documents will not be considered. No phone calls please.