Location: Lancaster, PA & Reading, PA (2 positions)
Reports to: Regional Field Director
Travel: 60 percent
The Raiz Organizer position is a full-time non-exempt position. The position will be based in Reading, PA and include outreach in and supporting work in the surrounding Lehigh Valley and Berks counties as needed.
Who we are: Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve over 100,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
Raiz Organizer: As a member of the Statewide Public Policy team, the Raiz Organizer is responsible for supporting state and national Planned Parenthood campaigns for reproductive rights through activities related to 501(c)(4) and some 501(c)(3) grassroots outreach and advocacy volunteer management. This position is apart of a national and local effort to work with the Latinx community on fights for reproductive health, sex education, and access to care. The Organizer’s goal is to increase public awareness of Planned Parenthood’s legislative, educational, and advocacy efforts and activate volunteers to support that work in Pennsylvania.
The Raiz Organizer will work in close coordination with Statewide Public Policy and Organizing team to engage and grow a base of Latinx supporters and build power for the reproductive health movement in the Latinx community. The Organizers will work directly with the local Planned Parenthood team to develop and execute campaign plans, utilizing those efforts as a vehicle for deepening Latinx engagement at the local level. This position will help expand the grassroots Planned Parenthood network and deepen engagement and collaboration within the Latinx community to create a long-lasting and sustainable environment for reproductive rights advocacy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit for, plan, and participate in a range of 501(c)(4) grassroots advocacy activities in Lehigh Valley and Berks areas, such as supporter recruitment, patient engagement and campaigns
- Build deep/intentional relationships with the Latinx community, organizations and leaders who can support cross-collaboration efforts with Planned Parenthood.
- Engage, educate, and mobilize Latinx communities on local initiatives and Planned Parenthood services
- Develop and implement grassroots outreach strategies that meet the needs and interests of Latinx community members in Lehigh Valley and Berks
- Member training and coalition building
- Recruit and manage Latinx volunteers to participate in community events/actions
- Maintain activist database (The VAN) to track supporters, volunteers, and events, and use data to identify strategic ways to engage supporters
- Manage logistics, planning, and implementation of efforts for local initiative(s)/policies
- Work with the communications team to support social media in an attempt to reach potential leaders, broadcast a unified message about organizing and advocacy and showcase the work done by youth organizers
- Active participation in staff and other meetings
- Provide a visible community presence for Planned Parenthood by actively seeking opportunities for Planned Parenthood to increase its public presence
- Ensure a culture that embraces diversity, fair and respectful treatment of all persons, and customer-focused delivery throughout the organization
- Commitment to reproductive health and rights for all Pennsylvanians, and to Planned Parenthood’s mission to protect access to safe and legal abortion, access to essential health care and comprehensive sexual education, equality for PA women and LGBTQA residents, and equity for people of color, immigrants, those economically disadvantaged, and people living with physical or mental disabilities
- Local organizing in the city where you are applying to work/ Deep experience living or working in Latinx or immigrant communities in the US
- At least 1-2 years as a volunteer or staff doing grassroots/ field organizing
- Bilingual/ fluent Spanish language
- Commitment to inclusivity, embodying intersectionality, and social justice
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Well organized and strong attention to detail
- Highly Self-motivated and ability to work remotely
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to organize and multi-task in a fast paced environment to set and achieve short and long term goals
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Good interpersonal and communication skills that enable work in a collaborative and multi-faceted team environment
- Commit to at least 40 hours a week (schedule varies), including weekends and evenings
- Must have access to a car and ability to travel
- Working knowledge of VAN, Excel, a computer language, or another tool for data management
- Extensive computer skills, including competency in Microsoft Office software, Internet, Google Drive platform and social media
- A “Can Do” attitude and positive energy that will reflect in all projects and representation of organization
To Apply: Send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with Subject Line “Raiz Organizer.” Applications without all required documents will not be considered. Positions will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.