Location: Philadelphia, PA
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve over 100,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
In 2019, Planned Parenthood Federation of America launched the c3 voter engagement campaign, Shout Your Vote!/ ¡Dale Voz A Tu Voto! because enabling every person to practice their right to vote is a high priority for the organization. This campaign will be working with historically disenfranchised communities, particularly Black communities in Philadelphia, to register and update voter registrations and motivate potential voters to vote in the 2020 election. Voter engagement for this campaign will take a three-prong approach: voter education, voter registration, and limited get out the vote initiative (GOTV).
Primary Function/Position Summary:
Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is running a c3 voter engagement campaign in 2020 to engage historically disenfranchised communities. This position will work with the Southeast PA Regional Field Director and National staff to build out volunteer teams, educate the public on the 2020 census, register people to vote through digital and field organizing tactics, collect voter pledge cards, and engage health center visitors through civic engagement education. The SYV Campaign Manager will work directly with local and national Planned Parenthood teams to develop and execute campaign plans in their assigned area. The ideal candidate is high energy, thrives in a fast-paced work environment, learns quickly, can think on their feet and works well with a wide variety of people from different backgrounds. Must be able to multi-task and have a strong background in community organizing or a grassroots engagement. This is a full-time, grant-funded position through November 30th, 2020.
*Please note that due to COVID-19, the responsibilities below will be carried out using digital organizing tools. We hope to be back in communities as soon as we are safely able to do so.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the implementation of the SYV Campaign in Philadelphia through the effective use of digital, relational and field organizing tactics to meet campaign goals
- Recruits new volunteers and builds out volunteer teams to lead and expand effective community engagement strategies
- Manages volunteers in a variety of tactics including virtual phone banks, text banks, crowd canvasses and traditional door to door canvasses in order to hit a robust voter registration goals
- Collaborates with health center staff to run c3 voter engagement in nearby Planned Parenthood health centers’ waiting rooms
- Works with community leaders and business partners to register people to vote at community events
- Educates people about the 2020 census and collects pledge to be counted cards
- Manages data for the campaign, working closely with colleagues to ensure all data is reported accurately
- One to two years of grassroots organizing or campaign experience
- Local organizing experience in the Pennsylvania strongly preferred
- Deep experience living or working in Black communities in the US.
- Available nights and weekends
- Strong commitment to meeting deadlines, frequent reporting and showing progress towards goals
- Experience using data management tools such as VAN, Excel, or any other related tool
- Experience working in diverse communities with extensive knowledge of diversity and inclusion, and sensitivity/appreciation of cultural differences is required.
- Experience leading canvasses
To Apply: Send a resume and a cover letter with subject line “Shout Your Vote Campaign Manager” to: [email protected]. Applications without all required documents will not be considered. Positions will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.