Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Salaried/Exempt
Travel: 60 percent
Salary: $60–70k DOE
Who we are: Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates and Association (PPPA) is one of 21 state public affairs offices of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. PPPA staff coordinate political and issue education efforts with public affairs staff at Pennsylvania’s Planned Parenthood affiliates who serve nearly 90,000 patients a year. Our goal is to ensure legislative, issue, and political advocacy efforts are integrated into a coordinated statewide strategy.
Position Summary: As a member of the Statewide Public Policy team, the State Field Director will develop, implement, and manage a statewide field organizing plan. The State Field Director will direct and manage strategic field organizing efforts to advance legislative and electoral campaign objectives. They will direct and manage a variety of programs within the state, including issue education and electoral organizing campaigns, supporter and prospective supporter communications and cultivation, and leadership development activities.
- Develop, implement and direct annual and long term strategic statewide organizing plan for increasing public affairs capacity through specific organizing strategies throughout the state.
- Oversee implementation of all community outreach activities, volunteer activist engagement opportunities, supporter communications, and state and local coalition development, cultivation and maintenance in conjunction with PA Affiliates.
- Provide technical assistance, guidance and support to field and affiliate staff and volunteers.
- Direct and supervise the maintenance and enhancement of statewide pro-choice supporter identification list, modeled voter list and Action Network email list.
- Develop, implement & manage systems/infrastructure that enable staff to best educate and mobilize activists.
- Develop measures of success for the grassroots organizing plan and staff and provide regular progress and outcome reports to grantors, boards and staff. This will include Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
- Analyze performance of annual organizing plan and supervise all field related data management.
- Significantly contribute to efforts to secure private and public grant funding by providing detailed information on field specific program strategy, plans and budgets.
- Direct campaigns to engage Planned Parenthood staff and patients to show grassroots support.
- Plan and execute leadership development program activities for field team and volunteers.
- Keep abreast of current legislative and electoral news.
- Support all lobbying, media outreach, and other Public Affairs Department activities via grassroots activism.
- Identify opportunities and foster relationships for effective coalition building to educate and activate general public about reproductive rights and health care.
- Participate in and assist in the coordination and execution of special events, including leadership development retreats and conferences, lobby days, and volunteer activist engagement events.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Direct supervision of 3 Regional Field Directors, partial supervision of the statewide grassroots organizers, and indirect supervision of interns and a network of volunteers.
Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws and in conjunction with other management staff. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing and resolving complaints; and reporting oversight to other management staff.
Qualifications: This position requires a background in public policy and issue based and electoral organizing, a minimum of seven years’ experience working in a legislative and/or political environment, and a minimum of five years management experience (remote staff management a plus).
Must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Effective communication—orally and in writing
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with staff and volunteers to accomplish program goals
- Strong computer and organizational skills
- Ability to think strategically, work independently and as a team member within deadlines, and prioritize work
- Possess knowledge of women’s/reproductive health issues and the political processes in Pennsylvania
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills
- Travel throughout Pennsylvania, including evening and weekend meetings
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Successfully meeting the physical demands listed below are also essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Continuous ability to read, speak, hear and see
- Infrequent exposure to outside weather, and heat or cold conditions
- Continuous exposure to moderate noise level
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds
OSHA Exposure Determination: No risk
Access to Private Health Information: No access
To Apply: Send a resume and a cover letter with subject line “State Field Director” to: [email protected]. Applications without all required documents will not be considered. Positions will be open until filled. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
PPPA is an equal-opportunity employer. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates does not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Pennsylvania Advocates is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.