It's time for a victory lap after all the amazing work you helped Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico and our coalition partners achieve in the 2021 legislative session!
We have been working to repeal New Mexico's old 1969 abortion ban for years - and finally, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham signed the Respect New Mexico Women & Families Act this February.
We are so proud to be a part of the Respect New Mexico Women Coalition and honored to work alongside such powerful coalition partners to ensure that we repealed the old law that served only as a barrier to access compassionate health care.
Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico is also proud to have supported the following bills:
- The New Mexico Civil Rights Act (HB 4, sponsored by Speaker Egolf & Representative Georgene Louis) which would allow people who have been harmed by state and local government authorities to seek accountability for that harm.
- Affirmative Consent (HB 142, sponsored by Representative Liz Thomson) will require that education programming includes curriculum about affirmative consent - in other words, only yes means yes when it comes to our bodies.
- The Crown Act (HB 29/SB 80, sponsored by Representatives Patricia Roybal Caballero & Sheryl Williams Stapleton and Senators Antoinette Sedilla Lopez, Harold Pope, Linda Lopez, Benny Shendo, & Shannon D. Pinto) protects folks of color from employment discrimination or retaliation for wearing their hair naturally. We should be respected for our whole authentic selves, including our hair.
- The Human Rights Act (HB 192, sponsored by Representative Brittney Barreras, Angelica Rubio, & Melanie Stansbury) is a wording fix that will prevent governmental bodies and programming from being able to discriminate against New Mexicans seeking help.
We also stood firmly in opposition to multiple bills that would have negative impacts on communities across our state:
- The so-called "Health Care Workers Protection Act," which would have allowed medical providers to discriminate against individuals for any reason and withhold necessary health care.
- "COVID Protocols at Abortion Facilities," a targeted regulation of abortion providers (TRAP) that would single out abortion providers for safety protocols that already exist per COVID-19 public health orders.
We are SO PROUD of the amazing grassroots work and energy that went into making the 2021 legislative session one to remember. You made hundreds of phone calls, you sent 6,076 emails, you mailed 3,546 post cards all since January to protect and expand access to health care, protect our LGBTQ+ neighbors, increase accountability in government and within public programming, and protect civil rights and human rights for all New Mexicans.
Thank you for all that you do. We truly are in awe of your power.
In this together,
Director of Public Affairs, Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico