Today is our celebration. Today is for those who are afraid or can't be themselves yet. Today is for the those who are loud and proud. Today is a day for education, reflection, and cheer. As we look back at our achievements, we look ahead to what the future will hold.
Today is a very special day for WV Transgender Resources. As we've worked with Planned Parenthood South Atlantic over the past few months, we have been given a voice in West Virginia. From partnerships across the country to happy hours to action meetings to legislation, we've accomplished a lot since our founding four months ago.
This year's Transgender Day of Visibility (TDoV) theme is "surviving, thriving." We are not only surviving the current political climate, but we are changing the way people think about gender. Being able to speak out, take action, and educate are so critical to transgender visibility. Visibility is not enough to bring liberation but is able to help with transgender justice.
What can you do?
2. Support trans-led organizations, including:
- WV Transgender Resources
- Mission: Transition Box, A Monthly Trans Subscription Box and Resource Kit
- Stealth Bros & Co - Men's Luxury Supply run my trans men
- iAMi Beard & Body Shop - Beard Products specifically for trans people
- Bianca Design Co - Pins, buttons, and art
- Rogue and Worthy - high quality, stylish, comfortable, gender neutral underwear
3. Don't out your trans friends.
4. Recognize the intersections of trans and other identities (like trans POC). Start here:
- Trans People of Color Coalition
- 4 Unique Struggles That Queer and Trans People of Color Have to Deal With
- 10 Remarkable Trans and Gender-Nonconforming Youth Activists of Color
- National Queer & Trans Therapists of Color Network
5. Make women's spaces encompassing of trans women.
7. Tell people when they say something transphobic and/or cissexist. Check out these helpful resources:
8. Learn about trans history.
9. Know the differences between gender identity, gender expression, sex assigned at birth, sexuality, and emotional attraction:
10. Celebrate, Protect, and Fight for trans lives.