Washington, DC –– Planned Parenthood Action Fund released the following statement after Rick Scott today announced that he plans to run for the U.S. Senate in Florida.
Statement from Kevin Griffis, Vice President of Communications, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
The last thing Florida needs is a senator that will rubber-stamp the Trump-Pence agenda, but that’s exactly what Rick Scott will do. Scott has spent seven years blocking his constituents from accessing health care –– pushing legislation that banned abortion, blocking access to birth control and cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood, and supporting the repeal of the Affordable Care Act. This has put access to health care at risk for millions in Florida. In response, Floridians have marched, mobilized, and organized –– and they’re going to make sure Rick Scott does not represent them in D.C.
Background: Rick Scott’s record on reproductive health and rights.
- Rick Scott signed one of most restrictive anti-abortion laws in the country, which included ”defunding” Planned Parenthood.
- Rick Scott spent thousands of taxpayer dollars on a bogus investigation into Planned Parenthood, which found nothing wrong.
- Rick Scott has been a rubber stamp for anti-reproductive health care politicians signing intrusive onerous bills that punish women –– and that are unconstitutional.
- Scott signed a mandatory ultrasound bill.
- Scott signed a bill forcing women into a mandatory 24-hour waiting period to access safe, legal abortion.
- Earlier this year, Scott signed a law directing state taxpayer funds to go to crisis pregnancy centers, which according to state law do not have to hire medical professionals.
- Rick Scott is a close ally of Donald Trump’s and worked closely with the Trump administration to craft the GOP replacements for the Affordable Care Act, which would cut millions of Floridians from their insurance and dramatically increase premiums.
- After saying it would be “compassionate” to expand Medicaid and access to health care in Florida, Scott refused to do so.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.