We are entering a new era of attacks on abortion across the country. Texas set a chilling precedent in banning abortion at six weeks, before many people even know they are pregnant, through S.B. 8. Now, the U.S. Supreme Court has scheduled oral arguments for Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization on December 1. This Mississippi case is the first challenge to Roe v. Wade, the landmark decision that protects abortion rights, since conservative Justice Amy Coney Barrett joined the Court.
The moment we are in is scary. It calls for us to stand up, speak out, and advocate for the reproductive freedom we deserve.
This month, learn more about the courts’ role in the fight for reproductive rights, spread the word about the threats that lie ahead, and bring friends into this fight so we can stand together and defeat the vocal minority trying to control our bodies.
1. The first action, inspired by back-to-school season, is to take a few minutes to learn a bit more about the impact the court system can have on our lives. How many of us even remember learning the incredibly important role of the courts beyond the phrases checks and balances or separation of powers? The courts—and particularly the Supreme Court of the United States—feel very distant from the lives of average Americans but they hold the power to determine the fate of American reality.
2. Share what’s at stake with your network and beyond. 2021 has been a brutal year for national attacks on abortion with a record number of abortion restrictions introduced and mirrored across different state and local governments. Those attacks have serious implications on access to abortion for all communities. In Iowa, we laid out in plain words what fights in Texas and at the U.S. Supreme Court could mean for Iowans. We need you to share that message far and wide to reach audiences that are not connected with our work.
Share this information with friends, family, and community members and explain to them why they need to join the to protect and expand access to sexual and reproductive health care.
3. Text 3 friends to sign up for Planned Parenthood email alerts. Communicating with our strongest supporters is a priority as we face such dangerous threats from Texas’s law, the upcoming Supreme Court case, and the constitutional amendment fight in Iowa. We are committed to building the strongest base of supporters we can and we need your help. Invite the reproductive rights and justice champions you already know to join us. Forwarding an invitation today to your friends is easy with the free app, Impactive.
- Impactive (formerly known as Outvote) is a platform built to empower and build grassroots campaigning through technology and relational organizing. Signing up for Impactive provides supporters with the resources they need to recruit and organize their friends, family, and local communities to get connected with Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa and our important work.
- PLEASE NOTE: Impactive and Planned Parenthood will never directly communicate with any of your phone contacts. The whole purpose of relational organizing is to connect people to causes through peer-to-peer contact. That’s why as a user, you will be the one reaching out to members of your community, sharing content developed by experts in our organization to your friends and family to connect them to our work for sexual and reproductive health care. It is only then, if they decide to sign up as a result of your contact, that they can be contacted by our organization.
- Need help getting set up with Impactive, check out this resource page or reach out to Gabriela Fuentes ([email protected]) for more information.
Thank you for taking action this month. We couldn’t do our work without you.