Action Items and Resources from “Where Public Health and White Supremacy Meet”
By Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska | July 1, 2020, 10:20 p.m.
On June 30, we hosted the first session of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska’s 2020 Summer Policy Series. Whether or not you were able to join us, you can take action today to stand with our partners and support our communities that are fighting to survive multiple public health crises.
These opportunities for action and education are from the incredible panelists who generously shared their time and expertise. Thank you to Isabel Salas of South of Downtown, Eric Reiter of OutNebraska, Rose Godinez of ACLU of Nebraska, and Katherine MacHolmes of Inclusive Communities for sharing the important work you and your organizations are doing to create justice and equity for all Nebraskans. Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska is proud to partner with you in this fight.
- Ensure that meatpacking plants follow the Meatpackers Bill of Rights and CDC and UNMC recommendations.
- Contact the governor by phone (402) 471-2244 or email https://governor.nebraska.gov/contact-form.
- Contact the Department of Labor’s Commissioner Albin by phone (402) 471-2239 or email [email protected].
- Support the ACLU of Nebraska’s Freedom Fund, which supports protesters by paying bail and legal fees.
- Sign up for Black and Pink’s pen pal program, which matches incarcerated LGBTQ+ people with pen pals who correspond, build relationships, and participate in harm reduction and affirmation.
- Check out the Black Trans Lives Matter March and Rally organized by Black and Pink, happening July 4.
- Help with the Tenant Assistance Project in Lincoln, which is looking for volunteer lawyers to represent tenants who are being evicted, as well as community volunteers to greet people, ask if they would like legal representation, and connect them with mutual aid networks.
- Email [email protected] to learn more about volunteering.
- Lawyers interested in volunteering should email [email protected] or call 531-220-6773.
- Check out the Eviction Lab website for more information on America’s eviction crisis.
- When the Nebraska Legislature is back in session, call your state senator and ask them to support Sen. Chambers’ anti-bias education bill, LB 924.
Support Black-owned bookstores!
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad (workbook included)
- How to be Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland by Jonathan M. Metzl
- Eloquent Rage: A Black Feminist Discovers Her Superpower by Brittney Cooper
- Queer Black Studies: A Critical Anthology
- Emergent Strategy: Shaping Change, Changing Worlds by adrienne maree brown
- Pleasure Activism: The Politics of Feeling Good by adrienne maree brown
No matter how you take action today, thank you.