September 6, 2022
Brandon Richards, Director of Communications
Vice President Kamala Harris & White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre Highlight Legislative Package on Governor Newsom’s Desk
In case you missed it, last week the California Legislature passed a historic bill package – the largest in the country – created and supported by the California Future of Abortion Council (which Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California is a leading member of) to not only protect access to abortion care but expand access, for all who may need or seek care in California.
This effort, which includes the bill package, 200+ million in new state funding, and a constitutional amendment now on the ballot as Proposition 1, is the culmination of nearly a yearlong effort to actualize California leaders’ commitment to being a true Reproductive Freedom state.
After the package was sent to the Governor’s desk, this historic effort received national attention:
- Vice President Kamala Harris pointed to the collective work.
- In addition, White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre pointed to the California Future of Abortion Council’s work as complementary to President Joe Biden’s work.
This national attention comes on the heels of sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice leaders meeting with Vice President Harris and HHS Secretary Becerra in recent weeks to discuss these efforts.
Read more about the legislative package awaiting Governor Gavin Newsom’s signature:
- CNN: California passes ‘historic’ legislative package protecting or expanding abortion access
- Associated Press: After fall of Roe, California expands abortion protections
- Los Angeles Times: Bills aimed at creating California abortion sanctuary headed to Newsom
For the full CA FAB Council reaction to the 2022 CA Legislative session, read more here.
Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (PPAC) is the state public policy office representing California’s seven separately incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates. Through advocacy and electoral action, PPAC promotes sound public policy in areas of sexual and reproductive health care and sex education.