Five ways you can protect abortion access
By Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic | May 4, 2022, 8:55 p.m.
JUNE 2022 UPDATE: Now that the Supreme Court has overturned Roe v. Wade, it's more important than ever for us to tkae action against attacks on the ability to have an abortion. This is an all-hands-on-deck moment like we have never seen before, and it will take all of us fighting to defeat further restrictions or bans on abortion in our states. Check out the five things you can do to fight for abortion access below:
This week, news broke confirming our worst fears: the Supreme Court is prepared to end the constitutional right to abortion by completely overturning Roe v. Wade. While we have seen the writing on the wall for decades and have been preparing for this moment, it is still devastating. Remember that the draft opinion released this week in the case Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization is not the final word — yet. Abortion is still legal in North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Virginia.
We don’t know when the Supreme Court will issue its final decision. Until then, here’s what you can do right now to fight back and defend abortion access:
- Make a contribution to Planned Parenthood South Atlantic to support 14 health centers across our service area. PPSAT relies on donations from people like you to keep our doors open for the patients who rely on our care, including abortion services. Donate today.
- Donate to your local abortion fund. Abortion funds provide people with financial support to pay for procedures, abortion pills, transportation and lodging when travel is required, childcare, doula and emotional support, or other needs voiced by people seeking abortions.
- Carolina Abortion Fund (North and South Carolina)
- Palmetto State Abortion Fund (South Carolina)
- Blue Ridge Abortion Fund (Virginia)
- Holler Health Justice (West Virginia)
- Choice Fund at Women’s Health Center of WV (West Virginia)
- Become a volunteer. We have many volunteer opportunities available, including greeting patients at PPSAT health centers as they arrive for their appointments.
- Share your story. When we share our stories, we reclaim our power. Tell us about your experience with abortion or why you support abortion justice.
- Reigster to vote and cast your ballot for candidates who support abortion access. Primary elections are currently underway in North Carolina and West Virginia, so make sure you are registered to vote and vote for candidates who will protect and expand access to reproductive health care. Find all of Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic's endorsed candidates here. Check your voter registration status and more at the below links: