PHOENIX — As of Today, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Arizona endorsed 23 incumbents and challengers for seats in the State Senate, House of Representatives, and several county offices. Each candidate has either already proven their commitment to support sexual and reproductive health and rights or has pledged to upon taking office. Some of these candidates are competing in Arizona’s Democratic primary election on August 4, 2020. Early mail voting for the primary election begins this week!
This second set of PPAA endorsements come as our communities’ grapple with two crises: an overdue push for greater racial equity in the wake of the murder of George Floyd and many others, at the hands of law enforcement agencies and police officers, and the COVID-19 pandemic that is disproportionately harming Black and Brown communities. This is a stark reminder that local elections matter, and that we need champions in the state legislature that will fight for marginalized communities.
Statement from Lola Bovell, Executive Director, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Arizona:
“Our rights and our health are on the ballot this August and this November, and it is more important than ever that we elect leaders that will fight for our values at all levels of government. Planned Parenthood Advocates of Arizona is proud to endorse this strong slate of candidates that have committed to protecting access to reproductive health care and advancing policies to combat racial inequity in all its forms.”
Several of PPAA’s endorsed candidates will be facing competitive primaries this upcoming August election and are highlighted below (*).
Additional endorsements will be made in the weeks ahead.
- House Member Daniel Hernandez*, House District 2
- House Member Andrea Dalessandro*, House District 2
- House Member Rosanna Gabaldon, Senate District 2
- House Member Alma Hernandez*, House District 3
- Flagstaff Mayor Coral Evans, House District 6
- Felicia French, Senate District 6
- House Member Kirsten Engel, Senate District 10
- Felipe Perez, MD, House District 11
- Joanna Mendoza, Senate District 11
- Lynsey Robinson, House District 12
- Kristin Dybvig-Pawelko, House District 15
- Ajlan “AJ” Kurdoglu, Senate District 17
- Judy Schwiebert, House District 20
- Doug Ervin, Senate District 20
- House Member Lela Alston*, Senate District 24
- Melody Hernandez*, House District 26
- House Member Juan Mendez*, Senate District 26
- Christine Marsh, Senate District 28
- Jevin Hodge, Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, County District 1
- Whitney Walker, Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, County District 3
- Jeanne Casteen, Maricopa County Superintendent
- Laura Conover*, Pima County Attorney
- Will Knight*, Maricopa County Attorney
*Highly contested race for the August primaries, where PPAA is proud to endorse a reproductive health champion.
Paid for by Planned Parenthood Advocates of Arizona. Not authorized by any candidate.
Media Contact: Planned Parenthood Arizona: [email protected]; (928) 699-2081