Medicaid expansion is the centerpiece of Governor Evers’ proposed state budget. Expanding Medicaid would mean more health access for more Wisconsinites. But Republicans in the Legislature have vowed to remove it from the budget.
That’s why we need YOU to take action!
What is Medicaid?
Medicaid is health care coverage funded by both state and federal governments. The Wisconsin state version of Medicaid is called BadgerCare. Medicaid covers low-income people, families and children, pregnant people, elderly people, people with disabilities, and U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.
Medicaid in Wisconsin
Wisconsin is 1 of 14 states that did not expand Medicaid after the Affordable Care Act was passed. If Medicaid is fully expanded in Wisconsin, more people will be covered, and the federal government will pay for at least 90% of it.
With proposed Medicaid expansion, 82,000 more people would be able to get coverage. Additionally, Wisconsin would become eligible for $200 million in federal funding. Expanding Medicaid allows more Wisconsinites to get access to health care.
Calling Your Legislators in Support of Medicaid Expansion
Medicaid expansion is an incredibly important issue in Wisconsin and YOU can make a difference by calling your legislators!
To find your legislators and their contact info, enter your address here. Once you have the contact information for your legislators, you can call them and either speak with a legislative aide or leave a voicemail. Either way, it’s important that you let them know you are their constituent, you support Medicaid expansion in the state of Wisconsin and why it is important to you.
Here are some examples of points you could use on your call:
- Medicaid expansion means more health care access for more people.
- Medicaid expansion in Wisconsin would add $200 million in federal money to expand health care coverage for more than 80,000 Wisconsinites
- 70% of Wisconsinites support Medicaid expansion.
- The people who benefit most from Medicaid expansion are women and children.
- Expanding Medicaid allows us to invest in other important health care initiatives, like the Healthy Women, Healthy Babies proposal.
- Medicaid expansion in Wisconsin would save taxpayers money.
Calling your legislators only takes a few minutes and can help make Medicaid expansion a reality in Wisconsin!