Planned Parenthood Action Fund launches nearly six-figure ad campaign to mobilize Oklahomans against anti-abortion laws
For Immediate Release: April 25, 2022
The new “Abortion Access Isn’t a Joke” campaign will reach people across Oklahoma
Planned Parenthood Action Fund (Action Fund) has launched a nearly six-figure digital video ad campaign in response to Oklahoma Governor Stitt signing away Oklahomans’ access to abortion as he cavalierly joked about arresting patients seeking essential health care. With this ad campaign, Action Fund is alerting Oklahomans – and all patients in the region who have depended on care in Oklahoma – of their lawmakers’ continued pursuit of legislation that will eliminate fundamental freedoms.
The “Abortion Access Isn’t a Joke” campaign targets those most impacted by the total abortion bans, including youth, LGBTQ+ people, and Black, Indigenous, and Latino communities across Oklahoma and is estimated to garner over 3 million views in a state of 4 million people. The ads will run across social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, as well as on targeted websites.
Last week, Governor Stitt signed S.B. 612, a total abortion ban that, if it takes effect in August, would completely ban abortion in the state of Oklahoma — cutting off access to abortion not only for Oklahomans but also for thousands of Texans who must travel to the state for care in the wake of Texas’s “sue thy neighbor” abortion ban.
And anti-abortion legislators aren’t done yet. The Oklahoma legislature is still considering final approval of six anti-abortion bills, including two abortion bans modeled on Texas’s:
- H.B. 4327, a total abortion ban with a Texas-style private enforcement mechanism.
- S.B. 1553, a ban on abortion 30 days after a person’s last menstrual period, when few people know they are pregnant;
- S.B. 1555, a modification of the state’s trigger ban that would allow pre-Roe v. Wade statutes to take effect if the Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, even in part, and asserts that the state could enforce a total ban;
- S.J.R. 37, a constitutional amendment that would eliminate any right to abortion in Oklahoma;
- S.J.R. 17, a constitutional amendment that would confer full personhood — and the rights that come with it — from conception; and
- S.B. 1552, a bill funding fake clinics that lie to people seeking abortion.
This session has made clear that anti-abortion policymakers have no interest in protecting essential health care for Oklahoma’s 900,000 women, and more transgender, gender nonconforming, and nonbinary people of reproductive age. Action Fund is mobilizing hundreds of thousands of Oklahomans to stand up and tell Gov. Stitt: Abortion access isn’t a joke.
View full digital ad here. A transcription can be found below:
TEXT: Governor Stitt just signed a total abortion ban into law in Oklahoma.
TEXT: Listen to how he suggested attacking Texans current seeking abortion care in his state.
Governor Stitt: You mean have highway patrol arrest the Texans that come across our border?
[laughter from the room and Governor Stitt]
Reporter: No no no.
Governor Stitt: This… this bill will take care of that.
TEXT: Tell Governor Stitt: Abortion access isn’t a joke.
TEXT: Tell Governor Stitt: Bans Off Our Bodies.
TEXT: BANS OFF OUR BODIES