(Portland, MAINE 7.27.22) Today, members of the Planned Parenthood Maine Action Fund PAC were joined by patient advocates and supporters to announce the organization’s endorsement of Janet Mills for her reelection.
The dangerous and chilling Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade has put abortion rights and sexual and reproductive healthcare at the center of this year’s midterm elections. Voters want candidates who will stand up for safe, legal abortion and today’s announcement is the first of PPMEAF PAC’s endorsements this cycle.
Statement from Nicole Clegg, Chair of Planned Parenthood Maine Action Fund PAC:
“We are excited to stand with Governor Mills and will do all we can to see her reelected this November. There is too much at stake for the people of Maine, and the Dobbs decision has made it abundantly clear that there’s only one person who should be leading Maine. That’s Governor Mills. She has demonstrated both in her words and by her actions that she will protect Mainer’s reproductive rights and freedoms. They aren’t up for negotiation.”
“In stark contrast, Paul LePage boasts about his opposition to abortion unless it jeopardizes his polling numbers. While his words today lack specificity on his positions, his actions as governor make his views crystal clear. Paul LePage cut funds for family planning services, attempted to veto expanded coverage for reproductive healthcare for low-income people and used his administration to target abortion providers. For someone who claims he doesn’t have time for abortion, he had no problem finding the time as governor.”
“Maine voters’ memories are long, and they haven’t forgotten. We want people running for office who will stand up for our basic rights and safety.”
During Governor Mills’ first term, she has had a profound impact on access to healthcare including sexual and reproductive health care and abortion. She has signed into law:
- Public and private insurance coverage mandates for abortion.
- Expansions to allow trained and trusted clinicians, including nurse practitioners and physician assistants, to provide abortion care to their patients.
- Modernized family planning laws to reflect best medical practices.
- Protections for clinicians who provide abortion care.
- Patient safety zones for healthcare providers.
- Expanded access to menstrual products.
- Automatic enrollment in family planning coverage for people earning less than 214% of the federal poverty level.
- Expanded coverage for birth control through private insurance
- Easier dispensing of emergency contraception through vending machines.
- Expanded Medicaid/MaineCare including access to reproductive and sexual health care.
- Dedicated resources to improve maternal health outcomes; and much more to improve the health and lives of Maine women and families.
Loss of Roe puts Governor’s race in the center of Maine’s defense of abortion rights