After the passing of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, volunteers in our region are fighting for reproductive rights
Today, Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa PAC, and Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska are launching RBG Week of Action, a week of political organizing to fight for reproductive health care in Justice Ginsburg’s honor.
In the wake of the passing of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, people are coming together to protect her legacy, progress, and to defend her last wish- that her seat on the Supreme Court is not filled until after Inauguration Day.
“We know exactly what we need to do to honor Justice Ginsburg’s legacy: fight with everything we've got to protect our reproductive health care and freedom,” said Erin Davison-Rippey, Executive Director of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa. “Justice Ginsburg fought for us her entire career. Her forty years on the U.S. Supreme Court changed our country, our lives and our futures. Now, all of the progress could be lost. Our supporters are motivated and taking action to keep moving us forward.”
“The current administration has repeatedly attacked our reproductive rights and freedoms,” said Andi Curry Grubb, Executive Director of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska. “The fate of our rights, our freedoms, our health care, our bodies, our lives, and our country depend on what happens over the coming months. Justice Ginsburg fought for all of us during her long career. Her loss is immense, but we are coming together through our grief and fear to protect what we have left and fight for our futures.”
“Justice Ginsburg was a champion for equal rights,” said Tim Stanley, Executive Director of Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund. “Justice Ginsburg was a fierce fighter for gender equality, LGBTQ+ people, immigrants, abortion rights and health care for all. We are working tirelessly for those same ideals, and volunteers are stepping up to make a difference. It’s energizing and exciting, even as we are all mourning the loss of one of our heroes.“
Across the region, Planned Parenthood supporters and volunteers are coming together to fight for Justice Ginsburg’s legacy, her last wish and to protect reproductive health care.
RBG Week of Action
- Phone Bank: Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa PAC is hosting a RBG themed phone bank on Wednesday, September 23
- Petition: Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska is supporting the National Coalition of Jewish Women petition requesting the Senate honor RBG’s wish and keep the vacancy open until there is a next president.
Rally: Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund, in conjunction with North Dakota Women’s Network, is participating in rallies held in Fargo and Bismarck on Sept. 25 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Participants are encouraged to only attend if they feel healthy, maintain social distance, wear masks, a bring water and sanitizer.
- Digital rally: Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska is supporting the National Women’s Law Center’s upcoming digital rally on Friday, September 25
- Youth Text Bank: Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund volunteers will be text banking with peers about RBG on Thursday, September 24
- RBG Digital ads: Planned Parenthood Advocates of Iowa and Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund will be running digital ads encouraging supporters to sign up for a volunteering shift throughout the week
- Phone bank: Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska is hosting a RBG-themed phone bank asking supporters to pledge to make 40 calls for 40 years of RBG serving on the federal court bench on October 3
- Postcard Writing: Planned Parenthood Advocates of Nebraska is partnering with Nebraska Wesleyan Generation Action group to write postcards to U.S. Senators asking them to honor RBG’s last wish.