The Top Five Must-Read Stories of the Week
By Alyah Khan | Jan. 18, 2020, 3:03 p.m.
Here are the recent news stories you don’t want to miss:
- A recent study shows that 99% of women do not regret their decision to have an abortion. Extremists lawmakers often cite regret as a reason to restrict access to abortion, but the numbers don’t lie. We need to trust people to make their own, fully informed health care decisions. Period.
- Governor Greg Abbott decided that Texas should be the only state to opt-out of the refugee resettlement program. Wait for it.
- ….But a federal judge halted the Trump executive order that made Abbott’s move possible. There it is. Refugees can still resettle in Texas, for now.
- Indicted Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton told Texas state employees that they can’t donate to Planned Parenthood through the State Employee Charitable Campaign. But! There’s still an anti-choice group on the list. Of course.
- The local abortion bans, spearheaded by extemist anti-choice activists gain new ground in three Texas towns. Let’s make something clear: Abortion is still legal in Texas. These extremist attempts to ban abortion in local communities are intended to mislead Texans and stigmatize a common and safe medical procedure.
The final #DemDebate before the Iowa Caucuses took place on Tuesday with zero mention of reproductive rights or abortion.
Tags: Abortion, Greg Abbott, Immigration, Trump