The November 2018 midterm elections are just around the corner. From the Trump-Pence Administration to anti-reproductive health politicians in Minnesota—we’ve seen relentless attacks on our health, rights, and communities that underscore how ESPECIALLY important this election is.
Conversations from voter to voter are the most effective way to make sure voters who support reproductive health champions show up at the polls on Election Day. When you talk with your neighbors face-to-tace about your shared Minnesota values, you can REALLY make a difference. Knocking on doors, also known as canvassing, can seem pretty daunting if you've never done it before, but it's actually super easy and tons of fun.
Here's what you need to know about canvassing with the Planned Parenthood Action Fund.
1. We send you out with a partner, so you’ll always have a buddy. If you’re new, we’ll send you out with someone who’s an expert!
2. We don’t ask for money, just for people to pledge to vote.
3. We only knock on supporters’ doors, so they’re really friendly.
4. We train you in before each canvass, so you’ll feel prepared to go out!
5. You’ll meet other awesome Planned Parenthood supporters in your community who are also fired up and ready to take action and make change.
6. Believe it or not, you can play with people’s dogs when you canvass! (Or not, if you’re not a dog person).
7. Generally, you’ll have higher contact rates on the doors than the phones, so you’ll really feel how much of an impact you are making face-to-face!
8. Though the volunteering shifts last 4 hours, we don’t knock on people’s doors for four hours. The first 45 minutes or so is a training, we knock on doors for about four hours, and we do a 15 minute debrief. The rest of the time is travel time to make sure you don’t feel rushed getting to your turf!
9. If you’re nervous your first time and you feel like you need backup, you can bring a friend!
10. Some of our events have perks – like special swag, shirts, or sweet treats at the end of your shift! But even when there’s no cake or ice cream, you’ll always know you made a difference.