Monday Monitor: January 9, 2017
By Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri | Jan. 9, 2017, 11 p.m.
The Missouri Legislature is back, which means the Monitor returns to its regular weekly format!
January Lobby Day
The legislature is back in session and the first Planned Parenthood Lobby Day is quickly approaching! Mark your calendars to join us in Jefferson City on Wednesday, January 25.
Whether you’ve never been to the Capitol or you’re a seasoned veteran, Planned Parenthood organizers will prep you to successfully meet with your legislators and advocate for all Missourians’ sexual and reproductive health.
Women's March on Washington — and in Missouri!
On Saturday, January 21, hundreds of thousands of people will participate in the Women’s March on Washington. At the same time, there will be sister marches across Missouri! This is an opportunity for all folks of all genders to stand together in solidarity and tell elected officials at all levels of government that we expect them to protect the rights of women, their families, and their communities.
We are in for the fight of our lives. Our goal at the Women’s Marches statewide is to make it clear to the incoming administration that Missourians are prepared to fight attacks on reproductive health care, abortion, and access to Planned Parenthood. Contact your local Planned Parenthood organizer to get more information!
- Mid-Missouri: [email protected]
- Southwest Missouri: [email protected]
- St. Louis Area: [email protected]
#IStandWithPP - Speak Out and Fight Back!
Planned Parenthood is under attack like never before. If extreme politicians get their way, 2.5 million patients per year will lose access to care at Planned Parenthood health centers. But we will fight like hell to stop these attacks — and we won't back down.
Here are three things you can do right now:
- Visit IStandWithPP.org to learn more and tell your lawmakers you support low-income patients’ access to Planned Parenthood
- Speak Out! Share your perspective as a Planned Parenthood supporter/patient/provider:
- If you're in Kansas City or Mid-Missouri, share your story here
- If you're anywhere else in Missouri, share your story here
- Add #IStandWithPP to your profile picture
Lawmakers returned to the Capitol last week to begin the 99th General Assembly. Though Missourians voted for change in Jefferson City, extreme anti-reproductive health lawmakers are offering up more of the same: attacks on abortion, birth control, and access to high-quality affordable health care. So far, 17 bills negatively impacting sexual and reproductive health have been filed, and we expect more to follow. While Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri will be working to stop bad bills, we will also be fighting forward, advocating for several bills that would improve Missourians’ access to health care.
You can keep up with legislation we are tracking on Planned Parenthood Advocates in Missouri’s bill summary.
- Mother Jones: A Wave of Anti-Abortion Laws Is About to Hit This State
- Rewire: Here’s What to Expect from ‘Emboldened’ State Anti-Choice Lawmakers in 2017
Tags: MoLeg, IStandWithPP