Who We Are
The Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts (PPLM) and operates as a separate entity from PPLM under the 501(c)(4) tax guidelines. Formed in 1984, PPAF believes that working within the political process is critical to advancing PPLM’s mission to increase access to sexual and reproductive health services and comprehensive sexuality education for adolescents, women, men, and families across Massachusetts.
What We Do
Electing Bold Champions
PPAF endorses and works to elect qualified state and local candidates who will pursue progressive policies that put patients first and protect reproductive health care for everyone. PPAF is a trusted resource for Massachusetts voters who want to learn where candidates stand on reproductive rights and sex education – and PPAF mobilizes these voters to go to the polls. For the past several election cycles, PPAF’s robust electoral strategy worked: in 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2019, nearly 90 percent of PPAF’s endorsed candidates were elected to office. PPAF’s electoral gains mean that Massachusetts voters now have the largest majority of support among Beacon Hill leaders who clearly and unapologetically will fight to protect access to sexual and reproductive health care.
Protecting Reproductive Rights
The national political environment makes it more important than ever that PPAF transforms the Massachusetts State House into one that leads the country in passing policies that support women’s access to health care and reproductive rights. PPAF advocates for bills that ensure sexual and reproductive health care, including safe and legal abortion, remain accessible and protected for all – no matter what. This legislative session, PPAF’s urgent and proactive legislative agenda addresses the very real threats to reproductive health and rights we face.
Building the Future
PPAF is inspiring a new generation of Planned Parenthood supporters and activists across Massachusetts. As part of Generation Action, a national Planned Parenthood initiative, PPAF trains young people to organize around reproductive freedom on their college campuses, engage in PPAF’s advocacy work, and create lasting change in their communities.
PPAF has also launched the Health Center Advocacy Program (HCAP), an initiative based in PPLM health centers, which encourages patients to get involved and take action - from signing a petition and joining a mailing list to sharing personal stories of how the care they received at PPLM made a difference in their lives. Additionally, PPAF has launched a Speakers Bureau program which works with a group of patient advocates who share their personal stories and speak publicly about the important role Planned Parenthood has played in their lives and their communities.
- Protect and defend access to sexual and reproductive health care, including safe, legal abortion in the face of renewed national attacks;
- Pass smart, proactive public health policies that improve access to birth control, sex education, confidential health care, safe, legal abortion, and services through telemedicine;
- Elect state lawmakers who will protect and expand access to sexual and reproductive health care;
- Mobilize Massachusetts citizens to take action and vote for pro-reproductive health candidates through online and on-the-ground campaigns;
- Expand PPAFs grassroots base by building a robust statewide network of young leaders through campus advocacy, volunteer opportunities, and increased digital campaigns and actions;
- Spearhead strong coalitions, strategic partnerships, and State House Lobby Day events with ally organizations.