BOSTON – The Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund of Massachusetts (PPAF) today announced its endorsement of Attorney General Maura Healey for re-election. PPAF is the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts, and works to elect bold champions of sexual and reproductive health like Attorney General Healey.
“Maura Healey is a steadfast champion for Planned Parenthood patients and health care access in Massachusetts and across the nation. She has worked proactively to protect safe access to reproductive health centers, defend birth control access, and build a healthier, safer Commonwealth,” said Dr. Jennifer Childs-Roshak, PPAF President. “Maura has been fighting for reproductive freedom for over a decade, and the people of Massachusetts can count on Maura to defend our state from the dangerous and cruel federal schemes concocted by the Trump-Pence administration. In the face of relentless attacks on the health and rights of Massachusetts residents, she has not backed down. We could not be prouder to endorse Maura Healey for Attorney General.”
Healey has a long record advocating for reproductive rights and sexual health care access. She joined the Attorney General’s office in 2007, where she was instrumental in the implementation and legal defense of the buffer zone law to protect public safety outside reproductive health centers in Massachusetts. Healey, leading the Civil Rights Division under former Attorney General Martha Coakley, also spearheaded Massachusetts’ legal challenge to the Defense of Marriage Act, the first lawsuit that resulted in a court striking down the law. Her exemplary dedication to protecting Planned Parenthood patients earned her the endorsement of the Advocacy Fund in the 2014 Democratic primary for Attorney General.
“I’m proud to have spent much of my career in the trenches alongside so many who battle for Planned Parenthood patients, the LGBTQ community, and health care access for all Massachusetts residents,” said Healey. “Over the last few years, we’ve all had to redouble our efforts to defend the basic rights of all people—including reproductive rights. By ensuring that people have control over their bodies and health, we help build a safer, more equitable Massachusetts. I will proudly continue this fight, and I am deeply honored to earn the endorsement of the Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund.”
Since taking office, Healey has continued to champion reproductive and sexual health care access. AG Healey has:
- Stopped anti-abortion groups from targeting patients with anti-abortion digital advertisements when inside reproductive health centers;
- Advocated for the Contraceptive ACCESS Law, which protects affordable birth control for 1.2 million Massachusetts residents no matter what happens nationally;
- Sued to protect contraceptive coverage in the Commonwealth when the Trump-Pence administration attacked the federal birth control coverage mandate;
- Joined Attorneys General across the country calling on the Trump-Pence administration to drop its proposed “gag rule” limiting reproductive rights and access to care;
- Challenged the Trump-Pence administration’s policy prohibiting unaccompanied minors from accessing abortions, arguing all women have a constitutional right to abortion;
- Helped implement the new Equal Pay Law, prevent sexual assault in Massachusetts high schools, and counteract the Trump administration’s cruel attacks on immigrants in Massachusetts.