Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico: The Senate Must Reject Trumpcare, or Millions of Lives will be at Risk
Albuquerque, NM — Today, the Senate voted to move forward with an effort to pass Trumpcare, which would repeal Obamacare and “defund” Planned Parenthood. The move came despite millions of people across the country expressing opposition and outrage at the various pieces of legislation that have been proposed — which would all leave tens of millions uninsured, charge women more for less insurance coverage, and prevent millions of people with Medicaid coverage from coming to Planned Parenthood health centers for basic, preventive care. Vice President Mike Pence, who authored the original legislation to “defund” Planned Parenthood as a congressman, had to cast the tie-breaking vote on the bill.
Statements from Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains and Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico:
“From ending maternity coverage and the birth control benefit for millions to blocking women’s access to preventive care at Planned Parenthood, every version of this bill would be devastating to the health of our communities, particularly women, low income families and the LGBTQ community.” – Vicki Cowart, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains
“Today, the Senate as taken a step towards endangering the health care of our communities, but the fight is far form over. This vote narrowly passed because this bill is incredibly unpopular – not because of partisanship, but because it would hurt people. Now is the time for every marcher, every Planned Parenthood supporter, to pick up the phone and start calling your Senators.” – Sarah Taylor-Nanista, Executive Director of Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico
FACT: No matter what version of Trumpcare the Senate votes on, it’s still the worst bill for women’s health.
· Every version of Trumpcare would take away health insurance from tens of millions of people and make it less affordable for those who will still have insurance. Official estimates say that various versions of Trumpcare would result in anywhere between 22 to 32 million people losing coverage.
· Every version of Trumpcare would “defund” Planned Parenthood by blocking people with Medicaid coverage from accessing preventive care at Planned Parenthood health centers — including birth control, cancer screenings, and STI testing and treatment. Unlike other provisions of the bill, this would go into effect immediately.
· Every version of Trumpcare would result in people paying more for health insurance coverage, raising out-of-pocket costs significantly — for those who are still left with coverage.
· Every version of Trumpcare would gut the Medicaid program, which approximately one in five women of reproductive age rely on to access no-cost, critical reproductive health care such as birth control, lifesaving cancer screenings, and maternity care.
· Every version of Trumpcare would dramatically reduce — or eliminate — access to financial assistance that helps 85 percent of people on the marketplace purchase insurance. This will reduce access to no-cost preventive services, including birth control, and life-saving care, such as prescription drug coverage.
· A number of versions of Trumpcare would impose a nationwide ban on private insurance coverage of abortion by prohibiting financial assistance from being used to pay for an abortion outside of rape, incest, and life endangerment. Plans could be subject to a penalty for violating this provision.
· A number of versions of Trumpcare would cut Essential Health Benefits protections, including maternity coverage and prescription drugs, which disproportionately affect women. Thirteen million women could lose coverage to maternity care under this bill. The U.S. maternal mortality rate is rising, and considerable racial disparities persist. Maternal mortality rates among Black women are four times higher than white women.
Planned Parenthood Votes New Mexico is a non-partisan, 501©(4) non-profit organization that engages in education and electoral activity, including legislative advocacy, voter education and grassroots organizing to promote Planned Parenthood’s mission.