Planned Parenthood Action Fund Endorses Montana Senator Jon Tester for Re-election to United States Senate
For Immediate Release: June 29, 2018
Billings, MT – Today, Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced its endorsement of U.S. Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Senator Tester has a proven record of protecting women’s rights and access to reproductive health care. He trusts women and will stand against attacks on Planned Parenthood health centers and patients’ access to the full range of reproductive health care — including safe, legal abortion.
Senator Tester is opposed to attacks on Planned Parenthood patients, declaring in January 2017: “Taking away women's access to basic health care is reckless and irresponsible” and named efforts to block patients from care at Planned Parenthood health centers as “political, shortsighted, and downright dangerous.” Tester knows the decision about whether and when to have children is personal, calling a 2018 bill to ban abortion at 20 weeks “another politically motivated attack to try and put the government between a woman and her doctor.” He has voted no on every measure to “defund” Planned Parenthood and supports legislation that would protect and expand access to reproductive health care.
Senator Tester’s record stands in stark contrast to Matt Rosendale, his conservative opponent who would be a disaster for women in Montana. As a state legislator, Rosendale voted at least four times to block women from accessing safe, legal abortion. Rosendale opposes access to abortion, even in the case of rape and incest, and voted for a bill that would effectively ban access to important and lifesaving forms of birth control. Tester is a powerful advocate for women and will stand up against any and all attacks on health care – attacks that Matt Rosendale supports.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
We are proud to stand with Senator Jon Tester and endorse him for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Senator Tester is a tried-and-true fighter for women’s rights and all people’s access to health care. He stands with Planned Parenthood patients and is in our corner every time patient care is under attack.
“Senator Tester will continue to work to protect access to the lifesaving care Planned Parenthood health centers provide. His proven record shows that time and again, he fights back against harmful attacks on reproductive health care and opposes all efforts to undermine people’s access to health care from extreme politicians in congress. We trust that he will continue to fight for us and can’t wait to send him back to the Senate.
Statement from Martha Stahl, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Montana:
Throughout his tenure in the senate, Senator Jon Tester has been an ardent champion for the over 16,000 Planned Parenthood patients in the state. He has worked continuously to protect access to the full range of reproductive health care, and we know he will fight back against any attack that threatens that access. Montanans can count on Senator Tester to continue fighting for them.
Statement from Senator Jon Tester:
Montana women deserve equal rights and equal opportunities, and that’s the bottom line, I will never stop fighting against out-of-touch Washington politicians’ efforts to get between a woman and her doctor. And I’ll always fight against folks trying to chip away at our personal freedoms. I’m proud to stand with Planned Parenthood and its mission to protect access to basic health care services for Montana women.
Senator Tester has a record of advocating for all people and their access to health care. As a senator, Jon Tester:
- Fought against Trumpcare – the worst bill for women in a generation – and voted against every version in order to protect health insurance for millions of Americans and preserve Planned Parenthood’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid
- Helped defeat several dangerous bills aimed at rolling back access to reproductive health care and birth control
- Voted no to an amendment to restrict women's access to abortion through private insurance plans
- Opposed a resolution to prevent Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health care experts from serving patients through Title X, the nation’s program for affordable birth control and reproductive health care
- Supported an amendment to restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood, allowing more patients to access care
- Opposed a dangerous ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy
On the other hand, Matt Rosendale has fought to strip access to health care for all people and believes in harmful policies that would take women backwards. He:
- Opposes abortion, even in cases of rape or incest
- Opposes exceptions for abortion when the life of the woman is endangered
- Favors a parental-notification requirement for minors seeking an abortion
- Voted for a Montana constitutional amendment that bars public funding of abortion and states that abortion is not a right
- Voted for legislation requiring women to undergo an ultrasound prior to an abortion
- Led the fight against Medicaid expansion under Obamacare
- Opposed a federal mandate to insure coverage for people with preexisting conditions
Senator Tester has a 100 percent rating from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund Congressional Scorecard, earned by his dedicated efforts to protecting women’s rights and expanding access to care. This November, Montanans need to re-elect pro-women’s health champion Jon Tester, and reject anti-women’s health politician Matt Rosendale.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.