Trenton, NJ – Today, Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced its endorsement of U.S. Senator Bob Menendez (D-NJ) for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Throughout his tenure, Senator Menendez has been an unwavering champion for Planned Parenthood patients, and he strongly supports reproductive health and rights. And when he is re-elected this November, Senator Menendez will continue to fight against the harmful attacks that threaten to take away access to the full range of reproductive health care, including safe, legal abortion.
Senator Menendez has been a longtime advocate for the critical health care Planned Parenthood health centers provide for 2.4 million patients each year. He trusts women to make their own health care decisions and knows that these are decisions not to be made by politicians in Washington. With so much at stake, this is an election that has never mattered more. The Trump-Pence administration and extreme politicians in Congress have threatened to strip access to Planned Parenthood health centers, proposed an unethical gag rule on the Title X family planning program, and attempted to take away access to health care for millions of Americans. And with extreme Supreme Court nominee Judge Brett Kavanaugh, the right to safe and legal abortion is on the line. Senator Menendez opposes Kavanaugh and will continue to fight against these dangerous attacks.
In contrast, Senator Menendez’s opponent, Bob Hugin, is most likely poised to support Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court, threatening access to safe, legal abortion nationwide. Hugin was also one of the top donors to former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who made massive cuts to the state’s family planning program, which was followed by a subsequent rise in STDs and cancer cases in the state. Under Christie, New Jerseyans lost access to health care at Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health care providers. Hugin has donated to campaigns his views aligns with, including for President Trump, Speaker Ryan, Senator McConnell, and other ultra conservative candidates and causes – like the Heritage Foundation – which advocate for anti-women policies and legislation.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is proud to endorse Senator Bob Menendez for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Senator Menendez is a longtime supporter of the care that Planned Parenthood health centers provide. Menendez has fought against every attempt to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and has advocated for access to birth control by co-sponsoring legislation to make it more affordable and accessible for all women. Menendez knows that every woman should have the right to access safe and legal abortion, free from discrimination — that’s why he co-sponsored legislation that protects a woman’s right to an abortion regardless of what state she lives in.
“Reproductive rights and health care are non-negotiable. Access to safe, legal abortion is non-negotiable. Senator Menendez is the kind of tireless fighter for reproductive health care that we need in the Senate.
Statement from Christine Sadovy, Legislative and Political Director, Planned Parenthood Action Fund of New Jersey:
More than 65,000 people in New Jersey rely on Planned Parenthood health centers for basic health care. With the Trump-Pence administration and GOP leadership focusing on rolling back women’s reproductive health and rights every chance they have, New Jerseyans can count on Senator Bob Menendez to fight to protect access to care for Planned Parenthood patients. We are proud that Planned Parenthood Action Fund is supporting Senator Menendez in his re-election to the U.S. Senate. He is always on the side of women and will continue to be the champion for reproductive rights that he has proven to be time and again once he’s re-elected in November.
Statement from U.S. Senator Bob Menendez:
I am pleased to have the support of Planned Parenthood Action Fund, a group that I have long supported in its fight to protect women’s health. I am proud of my 100% rating from Planned Parenthood Action Fund, for standing up for reproductive rights and the rights of women to control their own bodies, and for fighting efforts to make it harder for women to access the health care they need. Each day, I try to live by the values that my mother taught me and to fight to ensure equal access and opportunity for my daughter, for my granddaughter, and for every woman. Together, we can make sure that women’s rights are recognized as human rights. The stakes in this election and in preserving and protecting our shared values have never been higher.
Senator Menendez is a steadfast champion for all people and their access to health care, including standing up for women’s reproductive health and rights. As a senator, he has:
- Co-sponsored the Women’s Health Protection Act, legislation to protect a woman’s right to safe, legal abortion by blocking laws intended to restrict access to reproductive health care.
- Co-sponsored the Access to Contraception for Women Servicemembers and Dependents Act, which would allow all women who receive health care through the military to access all FDA-approved contraception, and require the Department of Defence to develop a comprehensive family planning education program for all service members.
- Called on the Trump-Pence administration to reverse its decision to end the Affordable Care Act’s birth control mandate.
- Signed a letter to Speaker Ryan urging him not to attack Planned Parenthood in order to preserve Planned Parenthood health center’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid.
- Opposed the Trump-Pence administration’s rule rolling back protections for birth control coverage for women.
- Signed a letter to HHS Secretary Azar seeking answers from the Trump-Pence administration regarding their recent radical and unethical changes to Title X -- the nation’s only program for affordable birth control and reproductive health care.
- Signed a letter to HHS Secretary Azar expressing opposition to the domestic gag rule, which more than 400,000 American citizens, health care providers, and health care institutions have spoken out against. The rule would make it illegal for doctors and nurses across the country to tell their patients how they can safely and legally access abortion, as well as severely restrict access to reproductive health care providers.
- Fought against Trumpcare – the worst bill for women in a generation – and voted against every version in order to protect health insurance for millions of Americans and preserve Planned Parenthood’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.