Planned Parenthood Action Fund Endorses U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein for Re-election
For Immediate Release: May 30, 2018
Sacramento, CA – Today, Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced the endorsement of U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) for re-election to the U.S. Senate. As California’s first woman senator, Senator Feinstein’s career has been punctuated by fighting for women’s health and reproductive rights, and advocating for LGBTQ communities. She has a long-standing record of being a leader in protecting people’s access to affordable health care and fighting against all attacks that threaten that care. Senator Feinstein is a champion for women’s health, and will continue to stand up for access to the full range of reproductive health care, including affordable birth control and safe, legal abortion.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is proud to endorse California’s first woman senator and one of our champions in the Senate for re-election, Senator Dianne Feinstein. Senator Feinstein has a proven record of standing up for the patients that rely on Planned Parenthood health centers for care in the state of California. She has long fought against attacks that would roll back access to essential health care.
“Senator Feinstein knows that whether and when a woman chooses to have a child is a decision made by her and her health care provider – not politicians in Washington. She trusts women to make their own decisions. The Golden State needs a champion in the Senate who will continue to uphold access to health care. Senator Feinstein is that champion and we can’t wait to send her back to the Senate.
Statement from Crystal Strait, CEO of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California:
Senator Feinstein is a tried-and-true champion for women and supports unrestricted access to reproductive health and rights. She has been a constant advocate for Planned Parenthood and access to health care. Californians can count on Senator Feinstein to continue fighting for the more than 750,000 Planned Parenthood patients that we are fighting for everyday.
Statement from Senator Dianne Feinstein:
I’m honored to stand with Planned Parenthood in my re-election campaign. Planned Parenthood health centers play a vital role in our communities, serving more than 750,000 Californians every year and providing the only Title X family planning services for low-income patients in 13 California counties. Supporting women and protecting our reproductive freedoms have been cherished causes of my life, and I will always defend a woman’s right to choose and prevent Trump's attempts to defund Planned Parenthood.
Senator Feinstein is a long-standing advocate for all people and their access to health care. As a senator, she:
- Fought against Trumpcare – the worst bill for women in a generation – and voted against every version in order to protect health insurance for millions of Americans and preserve Planned Parenthood’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid.
- Works tirelessly as the ranking member of Senate Judiciary Committee to advocate against the Trump-Pence Administration’s unqualified, anti-women’s health judicial nominees.
- Helped to defeat several dangerous bills that were aimed at rolling back access to reproductive health care and birth control.
- Cosponsored the LGBT Data Inclusion Act – requiring federal surveys to collect data on sexual orientation and gender identity, after the Trump-Pence administration tried to erase these communities.
- Worked to preserve women’s access to birth control by introducing legislation to protect the Affordable Care Act’s rules ensuring bosses could not deny their employees’ health care
- Worked to defend California’s FACT Act, legislation to ensure women have access to accurate information about how to get care and their rights under the law.
- Opposed a resolution aimed at preventing Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health care experts from serving patients through Title X, the nation’s program for affordable birth control and reproductive health care.
- Supported an amendment that would restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood, allowing more patients to access care.
- Opposed a dangerous ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Senator Feinstein has a 100 percent rating from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund Congressional Scorecard, due to her dedicated efforts to protecting women’s rights and expanding their access to care.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.