Madison, WI – Today, Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced the endorsement of U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Having served in the Senate since 2013 and in the House of Representatives for over a decade prior to that, Senator Baldwin has proved time and again to be a staunch supporter of women’s reproductive health and rights. Her exceptional record as a member of Congress best demonstrates what a powerful advocate for women looks like.
Baldwin has continuously fought against every attack on Planned Parenthood health centers and patients. She trusts women to make their own health care decisions, and knows the question of whether and when to have children is best answered by a woman and her health care provider – not politicians in Washington. Senator Baldwin stands in stark contrast to what many of her conservative opponents believe.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
Planned Parenthood Action Fund could not be prouder to endorse Senator Baldwin, a champion for women’s health and rights, for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Senator Baldwin is a committed fighter for women’s rights and access to the full range of reproductive health care, including affordable birth control and safe, legal abortion. In her tenure as a member of Congress, she has made protecting people’s access to health care and advocating for women’s reproductive rights a priority.
“In addition to fighting for women’s health and rights, Senator Baldwin has been a tireless advocate for LGBTQ communities. She’s a tried and true progressive leader, and we can’t wait to send her back to the Senate.
Statement from Tanya Atkinson, President and CEO of Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin:
We are thrilled with Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s endorsement of Senator Baldwin for re-election in Wisconsin. Senator Baldwin has been an outspoken advocate for women’s reproductive health and rights. Nearly 52,000 patients rely on Planned Parenthood health centers for basic care in Wisconsin, and the Badger state needs a champion like her to fight for their access to care in the Senate. Wisconsinites can count on Senator Baldwin to stand up for Planned Parenthood patients – just as she’s done throughout her career in public service.
Statement from U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin:
Planned Parenthood health centers ensure that every woman, man and young person in Wisconsin, regardless of where she lives, has access to essential and trusted health services like lifesaving cancer screenings, STD testing and treatment, reproductive health care, and wellness exams. A woman deserves the freedom to make her own personal decisions about her health care, her family, and her body, without the interference of Washington politicians. I'm proud to stand with Planned Parenthood, and I won't stop fighting to defend Wisconsinites' access to high-quality, affordable health care.
Senator Baldwin is a champion for all people and their access to health care. As a senator, she has:
- Fought against Trumpcare – the worst bill for women in a generation – and voted against every version in order to protect health insurance for millions of Americans and preserve Planned Parenthood’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid.
- Introduced the Women’s Health Protection Act, legislation to protect a woman’s right to safe, legal abortion by blocking laws intended to restrict reproductive health care.
- Introduced and co-sponsored the Invest in Women's Health Act, which would provide more preventive and lifesaving cancer screenings at health centers like Planned Parenthood.
- Voted no on a resolution aimed at preventing Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health care experts from serving patients through Title X, the nation’s program for affordable birth control and reproductive health care.
- Called on the Trump-Pence administration to reverse his end to the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate.
- Voted yes on an amendment that would restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Voted no on a dangerous ban on abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Led senators in voicing concerns about the removal of LGBTQ health and scientific information from the HHS websites to the Trump-Pence administration.
- Re-introduced The Equality Act to stop discrimination against LGBTQ Americans.
- Helped introduce the LGBT Data Inclusion Act – requiring federal surveys to collect data on sexual orientation and gender identity, after the Trump-Pence administration tried to erase these communities.
In sharp comparison, her Republican opponents support harmful, dangerous policies that would take us backwards:
- Kevin Nicholson has said that he wants to take away reproductive health care from the more than 50,000 Planned Parenthood patients in Wisconsin who rely on Planned Parenthood health centers for basic care like birth control, cancer screenings, and STI testing and treatment.
- Leah Vukmir defended a harmful bill which would prohibit the University of Wisconsin from training OB-GYNs how to perform abortions as part of medical training.
- Vukmir has spread lies about Planned Parenthood health center services.
- Vukmir supports banning abortion with no exceptions.
- Vukmir opposed legislation to give rape victims access to emergency contraception in hospitals.
- Vukmir co-sponsored bill to allow for weaker health insurance plans, making them able to forego coverage of essential health benefits.
Baldwin has a 100 percent rating from the Planned Parenthood Action Fund Congressional Scorecard, due to her steadfast commitment to protecting women’s rights and expanding their access to care.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education