WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced its endorsement of Joe Biden’s re-election. This announcement comes one year after the Supreme Court decision to strip federal abortion rights, prompting 20 states to ban some or all abortion and jeopardizing critical health care access for millions.
Alexis McGill Johnson, president and CEO of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, released the following statement:
“President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris have been committed to fighting back against the onslaught of attacks against our reproductive freedom. And we need them to continue this critical work. Abortion is health care. We’ve seen firsthand the aftermath of chaos and devastation when politicians use their power to steal control of our own bodies, lives, and futures. We need leaders who are committed to protecting our freedoms, not taking them away.
“There is so much at stake. We know, clear as day, that if anti-abortion politicians gain control of the White House, they will exploit their power toward their ultimate goal: a national abortion ban. That is why we must re-elect President Biden and Vice President Harris: people we can trust to keep rebuilding a path forward, because we know the journey to rebuilding our rights will be met with challenges. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is committed to this fight alongside the Biden-Harris administration, and all of the dedicated reproductive health, rights, and justice champions across the country.”
Since last June's Dobbs vs. Jackson Women's Health decision, the Biden-Harris administration has used the powers of its office to advance the protection of patients and providers, including:
- signing a Presidential Memorandum to ensure safe access to medication abortion and two executive orders to use a whole of government approach to protect and secure access to reproductive care;
- announcing new actions to maintain patient privacy, including a HHS proposal of additional guardrails under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to protect reproductive health data;
- making some abortion care available through Veterans Affairs;
- fighting back in our courts to protect access to medication abortion; and
- launching ReproductiveRights.gov to make accurate health care information available.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s endorsement comes alongside other leading reproductive rights organizations, including NARAL: Pro-Choice America’s endorsement of Biden and Harris, and EMILY's List’s endorsement of Vice President Harris.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational, advocacy, and limited electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.