As the Supreme Court plans to overturn Roe v Wade despite widespread support for abortion rights, the GOP continues to nominate candidates at the federal and state levels with dangerous and out-of-touch views on abortion. Need examples? Look no further than last night’s election results in Georgia.
When Roe is overturned, as expected, Georgia's six-week abortion ban — signed by Republican nominee Gov. Brian Kemp — could go into effect. Six weeks is well before many people even know they are pregnant. In the governor's office, a reproductive rights champion like Stacey Abrams would be a critical backstop against hostile state lawmakers who push dangerous abortion bans and restrictions through their chambers. So if Gov. Kemp is re-elected, Georgians would see the further erosion of their reproductive rights – against the will of the people.
Attacks on abortion rights go beyond the state level. Some U.S. senators are pushing for a nationwide abortion ban. Additionally, senators who oppose abortion rights blocked passage of the Women’s Health Protection Act, definitive piece of legislation that could have helped protect the right to abortion in Georgia and across the country in the absence of Roe. While Sen. Raphael Warnock has been a steadfast champion for abortion access, Herschel Walker, Georgia’s GOP nominee for the U.S. Senate, wants a total ban on abortion with no exceptions for rape, incest, or health of the patient.
Statement from Amy Kennedy, Planned Parenthood Votes in Georgia:
“Republican leadership in our state has proven time and again to be out of touch with the needs of Georgians, and they are doubling down to launch a coordinated attack against our health and our rights. Let’s be clear: the overwhelming majority of Americans and Georgians believe that abortion should remain safe and legal. This fight to protect our bodily autonomy is a righteous fight. We will not stand for any politician who tries to block Georgians from accessing basic reproductive health care.
“Over the next six months, Planned Parenthood Votes will ensure that Georgia voters are informed about what’s at stake in this upcoming election. Our movement is powerful, and we will bring everything we have to this fight.”
Statement from Jenny Lawson, executive director, Planned Parenthood Votes:
“Georgians could lose access to safe, legal abortion because Brian Kemp wants to control their personal health care decisions. His extreme views actively threaten Georgians’ health and reproductive freedoms. Gov. Kemp, coupled with Herschel Walker, who believes all abortions should be illegal, are a dangerous ticket for our rights. Georgians see where they stand, know the stakes, and will respond at the ballot box.”
Gov. Brian Kemp and Herschel Walker are narrow-minded, out-of-touch politicians who want to ban abortion outright. Don’t just take our word for it. Hear it directly from them:
- Signed a six-week abortion ban into law calling it “the strongest pro-life legislation in the country.” [Source and Source]
- Supports a Texas-style abortion ban with a bounty hunter provision in Georgia [Source]
- Supports outlawing abortion, including in instances of rape and incest [Source]
- Promised to vote for any pro-life legislation [Source]
- Believes abortion should be illegal [Source]
- Does not believe exceptions to abortion laws should by made under any circumstance [Source]
- Supports overturning Roe v. Wade [Source]
- Supports mandatory and medically unnecessary ultrasounds before an abortion [Source]
The media is taking notice:
- Salon: In Georgia, Republicans running for governor are racing to the extreme on abortion
- Northside Neighbor: Gov. Kemp affirms continued support of pro-life laws after leaked Supreme Court draft
- New York Times: In the Georgia governor’s race, Perdue tries to push Kemp on abortion
- New York Times: As he runs in the G.O.P. primary for Georgia Senate, Herschel Walker says he wants a ban on abortion with no exceptions.
- The Hill: Herschel Walker says he wants total ban on abortion: ‘There’s no exception in my mind’
- Buisness Insider: Trump-endorsed Senate candidate Herschel Walker supports a total abortion ban: 'there's no exception in my mind'
- New York Times: How abortion is already animating the Senate race in Georgia.
Planned Parenthood Votes is an independent expenditure political committee registered with the Federal Election Commission.