Proposes Hundreds of Billions in Health Care Cuts by 2030
Washington, DC — Today, the Trump-Pence administration released details of its FY21 budget proposal, which includes a provision to end all federal funding for Planned Parenthood and proposals for significant cuts to other domestic and global health care and safety net programs, as well as money to continue attacks on immigrant communities. The budget proposal builds off Trump administration policies that have been playing out in recent days, from encouraging states to gut Medicaid, to granting Texas federal Medicaid funding for a program that cuts off patients from Planned Parenthood, to continuing attacks on immigrant communities, people of color, and LGBTQ people.
Statement from Alexis McGill Johnson, Acting President & CEO, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
“Bottom line: This budget is an attack on our ability to access sexual and reproductive health care. Today, people across the country and around the world — who may already be struggling to access the health care they need — have just had the president turn a blind eye and propose sweeping budget cuts that put affordable care further out of reach. Budgets show our values and priorities, and this latest — and hopefully last — Trump-Pence budget makes it clear that this administration will never stop doing everything in its power to take away our health and rights.”
The budget includes several additional proposals that would strip away people’s rights to health care:
- Slashing support for international family planning and reproductive health programs by over 60 percent, including zeroing out funding for UNFPA and other vital UN agencies, and cutting global health programs overall by more than $3 billion,
- Demanding an additional $2 billion for a border wall as a part of the Trump administration's racist, xenophobic agenda,
- Reducing overall HHS funding by 9 percent, including cuts to Medicaid and Medicare,
- Imposing nationwide work requirements for public assistance programs,
- Continuing to emphasize policies that allow health care providers to discriminate and refuse to provide care,
- Proposing enormous cuts of nearly $844 billion over ten years to implement the “President’s health reform vision,”
- Cutting funding for the effective Teen Pregnancy Prevention program.
Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational, advocacy and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.