Writing an LTE is a powerful, free way to communicate with decision-makers and your community.
- First, find out the guidelines for submitting an LTE at your local paper.
- Write 200 words or fewer
- Get personal.
- Make sure your letter explains where your member of Congress stands on reproductive health and rights. Thank reproductive rights champions, and call out reproductive rights opponents.
- Submit your LTE.
If it gets published, post it with the tag NoAbortionBan on social media.
Congressional offices track calls, letters, and emails they get on issues, as well as the stances of each constituent. Take advantage of this!
- Call the Congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121 or look up your MoC’s number at House.gov or Senate.gov.
- If you’re writing a letter, visit your MoC’s website or your state's webpage for email addresses, contact forms, or physical addresses.
- If you’re mailing a letter, the following standard addresses can be used for the U.S. House and U.S. Senate:
- The Honorable [Insert Name], United States Senate, Washington, D.C., 20510
- The Honorable [Insert Name], United States House of Representatives, Washington, D.C., 20515
- Tell them where you live.
- Express gratitude for efforts made to support abortion access OR demand they take steps to increase abortion access in your community and around the country.
- Use one of the sample messages below for reproductive rights champions and opponents.
“Hi, my name is __________, and I live in ___________. I’m calling to thank [insert elected’s name] for voting for [insert legislation]. Abortion should not be controversial: Abortion is safe, essential health care. I’m grateful to have [insert elected’s name]’s strong support for this important issue on the state and federal levels. Thanks!”
“Hi, my name is __________, and I live in ___________. [insert elected’s name] recently voted against bills to protect abortion access and our right to birth control. I urge [insert elected’s name] to listen to the people of [insert state]. Our community knows that access to safe and legal abortion is essential, and we demand that our elected representatives protect this right. Thank you for your time and for passing this message along.”